Do you like identifying and developing disruptive technologies that address future consumer needs and transform the beauty industry?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
In our newly redesigned organization, the role ofDiscovery Domainis to identify and developdisruptive technologiesthat willaddress future consumer needsandtransform the beauty industryin moresustainableand disruptive ways. The function is responsible for developing mechanistic insights andhair fiber knowledgeto enable identification of new Actives, materials and formulations, including anti-oxidants, bioactive, Smart Materials, composites etc. in partnership with other domains such as Invention Domain, Application Domains and Product Development Domains.
As a Global organization, the Discovery Domain is a Global functionoperating from many countriesincluding France and L’Oréal USA is embedded in various strategic projects and leads many of them. A key measure of success for the Domain is tocreate knowledge based high performing materials and prototypes that are protected by strong, strategic and holistic intellectual property for the group. Working closely with cross functional teams, this position requires high technical skills as well as a strong attitude for working in multi-expertise, multi-cultural teams with agility.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovativeScientistto joinour Hair Fiber Discovery Domainteam located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. This is a highly technical position will require continuous learning and in-depth working knowledge in Material Sciences, Chemistry, and experience with problem definition, experimental design/execution, and problem solving. This key technical position will allow one to express oneself with in the entrepreneurial culture of the L’Oréal group and be part of the creation of beauty of the future
You Will . . .
· Translate consumer needs into technical problem statements, identify knowledge driven technologies to address the needs and beauty aspirations to deliver various consumer perceivable benefits for both skin (anti-ageing) and hair (styling, coloring, repair).
· Design and conduct experiments individually as well as with team, to validate hypothesis and performance targets. Communicate results with clarity and recommendations in oral as well as written formats.
· Interact with various groups within Domains of Invention, Domains of Application and Development, Safety, Regulatory and Claims (SRC), to ensure new materials and composite are meeting the needs of the broader priorities.
· Maintain a healthy external focus on new technology developments and Conduct literature searches, IP landscaping as needed by oneself and through partnership with the IP and legal departments to ensure that the latest technologies are explored for relevant applications in creative ways and we create competitive advantage
· Participate, lead and or generate new knowledge through discussions on hair fiber knowledge, new technologies and formulations and contribute to strengthening the overall knowledge of the field.
· Expected to be an effective communicator across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various new Materials, actives and formulations to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
You Have . . .
· Completed a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Sciences/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physical Sciences or Biological Sciences
· Experience in cosmetics/personal care/consumer healthcare/ chemical industries with a focus on hair is preferred
· Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills required with high sensitivity to a very diverse global culture
· Well organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
· Demonstrated skills in analyzing, reporting and documenting information with attention to detail
· Ability to work independently in a matrix environment both as a team member and as a leader
You Are . . .
· Able to operate under general supervision with the ability to make decisions independently and assess when escalation is appropriate.
· Collaborative with international colleagues to ensure global consistency, efficiency, and harmonization and potentially lead global projects.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please emailUSApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com . Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.