Manager - Legal, Financial Services Regulatory - London
Service Line Information
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
The Legal Services Team sits within KPMG Tax. Its establishment flows naturally from KPMG’s long history of successfully delivering multidisciplinary services to clients. Its vision is to be the legal adviser of choice for KPMG’s clients when it comes to their people, corporate structures, internal arrangements, regulatory requirements and disputes with HMRC. Core corporate, commercial and employment law teams, and a market leading tax litigation team, are already in place. Over the next few years, these teams will grow and Legal Services will expand into other areas of law that fit within its vision and the needs of KPMG’s clients.
What KPMG Legal Services is looking for from its lawyers:
- Team players who enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and discipline
- Approachable people who are keen to develop personally and professionally, and to assist with the development of junior team members
- Lawyers with a passion for the law and regulation
- Intellectually curious, open-minded and analytical people, with an eye for detail and pride in their work
- Driven and proactive professionals who deliver a great service to their clients
- Relationship builders who can spot and develop new opportunities both within the KPMG network and externally
- Flexible people who are able to deal with a fluid, changing work environment
Why you might want to join KPMG Legal Services:
- You can see the advantages of professional advice being provided within a multidisciplinary team
- You are ambitious and perceive the wealth of opportunities presented by a start-up legal practice in a leading global professional services firm
- You want the opportunity to develop client relationships and KPMG’s legal services capabilities
- You are excited by the idea of being a founding member of a team that will grow significantly and is involved in cutting edge and exciting projects
- You want to broaden your experience and become a more rounded professional
- You want to achieve a sustainable work-life balance
- You thrive when no day is the same as the day before
Who we're looking for:
We are currently looking to recruit a Regulatory Lawyer to join our growing Financial Services Regulatory team at KPMG. The role will be based in our London office but with potential for on-site client work.
We are looking for candidates with between 3 and 5 years post qualification experience ideally, for which this would represent an excellent opportunity for career development.
The successful candidate will have gained relevant experience in a leading City firm regulatory practice. The role will involve primarily non-contentious regulatory advice and support to clients in the context of a board range of financial services regulatory issues including fields, and the successful candidate will need to demonstrate experience in these areas.
The Manager role covers the following key areas:
- Technical Delivery – provide high quality financial services regulatory advice as part of legal services own account work or as part of a KPMG multi-disciplinary projects.
- Business/Client Development – develop relationships to generate revenue for the firm internally within KPMG and externally with clients, respond to business development opportunities, innovate and create practical commercial solutions to client issues.
- Delivery - Supporting engagements on a day to day basis with assistance of other Managers and Assistant Managers in the team. Contributing effectively to project teams and take responsibility for completing work. Strong interpersonal skills in addition to strong oral and written communication skills
- Proactive in supporting and expanding our Regulatory legal services practice. Sustain a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude that translates across the team
- Developing internal networks and maintaining excellent relationships with colleagues across KPMG, but in particular in the Risk Consulting and Advisory teams
- Demonstrating technical expertise by developing / enhancing propositions that are relevant for clients relating to one or more areas of regulation
You must have at least an upper 2nd class honours degree from an educational institution, and show experience in dealing with complex regulatory question and that you are technically excellent in your field. Applicants should be a fully qualified UK solicitor. Experience in Brexit projects, consumer credit and payments services, retail banking, regulatory permissions analysis is essential.
As well as proving your strong communication, organisational skills and commercial awareness, a clear enthusiasm for business development will be essential as this is integral to growing the business.
You will need to show a collaborative approach with a strong client focussed ethic, and that you have the drive to build the reputation of the team internally and externally. The ideal candidate will need to be able to demonstrate a passion for the regulatory legal environment in financial services.
Candidates must be willing to travel internationally as required, and a foreign language (other than English) will be viewed favourably.
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies:Policy