Manager - Corporate Tax (Real Estate) - Tax Centre of Excellence
Service Line Information
KPMG's Tax Centre of Excellence carries out the vast majority of the tax compliance work across the whole UK Firm and comprises over over 300 qualified tax compliance experts and supporting staff. Our vision is to become the most respected compliance team in the UK and help our clients cope with their rapidly changing tax compliance needs. We have 3 main locations in Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham, but also support a large number of remote workers, in short we offer flexibility in our ways of working. Over the next 2 years we are looking to increase both our scope of specialisations and our service offering as well as deploying class leading tax technology to deliver a great service to KPMG's clients.
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Our Tax Centre of Excellence (TCoE) has challenged and modernised the way that we deliver tax compliance services, by centralising the activities relating to the preparation and finalisation of tax computations and returns. Our vision is to build a more efficient and effective service for our clients.
We are now looking for talented Tax Managers with UK corporate tax experience to join us here.
You will be able to demonstrate exceptional tax compliance skills, the ability to work to tight deadlines and produce a first class product ready for issue to our clients.
This will involve working closely with tax professionals based in all of KPMG’s UK offices, along with our offshore partners (who manage processing aspects), to deliver a seamless service to our clients.
The corporate tax team based in the TCoE is an integral part of our overall offering to clients. The role involves working on a range of clients covering a number of sectors and ranging from mid-market to FTSE listed clients but will predominantly be focused on working with clients from Real Estate/Infrastructure sector.
We are offering both full time and part time roles with flexible working arrangements which include early or late starts to fit around other commitments, shorter working days etc. We would be happy to discuss your own requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements in more detail, should that be of interest.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain a portfolio of clients, including non-resident landlords, partnerships and other infrastructure related entities and take responsibility for ensuring their tax computations are prepared to a high standard, on a timely basis and finalised and submitted to HMRC within agreed deadlines
- Oversee the work of assistant managers, providing coaching and technical guidance as part of the overall review process.
- Work with the KPMG local office teams nationally and/or the client directly to understand the requirements at the start of each compliance cycle and ensure that these are reflected in the final computation and return.
- Potential visits to clients/ local offices when appropriate.
- On more complex clients, act as the main point of liaison with the client to obtain additional information if required, feeding back to the tax computation preparers to enable them to provide an updated draft computation for subsequent review.
- Identify and resolve technical issues, preparing technical analysis and involving specialists as appropriate to prepare or review analysis.
- Carry out a full manager review of computations and other deliverables prior to sending to clients and HMRC.
- Provide advice and support to the KPMG local office team and/or client, as requested, including for example providing assistance in the drafting of responses to HMRC correspondence and preparing tax accounting disclosures.
- Develop and maintain relationships and liaise with KPMG local office teams and our offshore partners.
- Work with client administrators to ensure client administration and risk procedures are completed appropriately, liaising with KPMG local office teams as needed.
- Identify opportunities to identify additional services that the client may need and liaise with subject specialists.
- Follow KPMG best practice and policy
Qualifications and Skills
We welcome applications from those qualified by experience, as well as ATT / CTA / ACA or equivalent qualifications.
Experience and Background
- Experience of manager level review of corporate tax computations and returns, including non-resident land returns, partnerships and PFI entities
- Previous experience in the real estate sector including non-resident landlord returns, partnerships and other infrastructure related entities is essential
- Ability to identify and resolve technical issues, or escalate as appropriate.
- Experience of specific technical areas including: complex capital versus revenue treatment; pension scheme and share scheme adjustments; group relief; basic transfer pricing; UK GAAP tax accounting for groups.
- Awareness (experience preferred) of technical areas including: controlled foreign companies and worldwide debt calculations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience of managing and / or coaching junior staff, in addition to strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent team work, management and organisational skills, including monitoring timetables and budgets.
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies:Policy