Corporate and Professional Services
London - Victoria
£70,000.00 - £95,000.00
Hours of Work
Pay rates are negotiable dependent on relevant skills and experience.
The Company Secretariat is a small, professional and empowered team enabling better decision-making for the good of the John Lewis Partnership. We sit in the Chairman’s Directorate, alongside our legal and personal data protection teams, supporting the Partnership’s governing authorities and helping Partners by establishing appropriate boundaries for groups and individuals and promoting a better decision-making culture. Our work is influenced both by the regulatory requirements of our listed debt and also by the Partnership’s unique ownership structure which sits at the heart of our co-ownership model.
What’s the role about?
As an Assistant Company Secretary you’ll be responsible for providing secretariat support, including corporate governance advice, to the Partnership Board, Executive Team, subsidiary companies, and the Partnership’s charitable Foundations.
You will also be responsible for overseeing some statutory compliance tasks carried out by the Company Secretariat Assistant and will have the opportunity to undertake project work, including contributing to the Partnership’s Annual Report.
You’ll be experienced in this field of work and able to build strong relationships with the team and internal stakeholders at all levels across the Partnership.
The Partnership is the largest business in the UK owned for the benefit of its employees, so while much of the work of the team is similar to that found in other large company secretariats, there are some unique attributes to our work. You will be able to bring your knowledge of best practice in corporate governance and adapt it: to the requirements of our ownership model, and to our need to ensure we are supporting Partners to deliver the Partnership Plan.
This role is a Maternity leave cover over 28 hours per week, with flexibility around the days worked.
What you'll be doing?
● Support the Deputy Company Secretary and the other members of the Secretariat team in the provision of company secretarial services generally as and when required, including taking the lead supporting a number of Committees and entities within the Partnership.
● Deputise for the Deputy Company Secretary in supporting the Partnership Board and its Committees as and when required.
● Subsidiary Boards and General Meetings - co-ordinating the operation of the Group’s subsidiary companies’ formal decision making and reporting processes.
● Liaison with the external counsel and administrators in overseas jurisdictions as and when required to ensure that the Partnership discharges its corporate obligations.
● Support the Deputy Company Secretary, as Corporate Governance Profession Lead, both to develop the skills and capability of yourself & Partners in the team, and also more broadly to improve knowledge and understanding of the Partnership’s corporate governance model across the business.
If you would like to view the job outline for this role please copy and paste the following link into your browser: here.
What you’ll have?
● Chartered Governance Professional
● Experience in a listed company or very large privately held company
● Experience of leading governance related projects (e.g. group rationalisation programmes)
What else you could bring?
● Experience in sectors related to the Partnership’s business areas (retail, property and financial services) is desirable but not essential.
● Experience of governance support for charitable bodies is desirable but not essential.
● Recent experience of working on the production of Annual Reports
In light of the current situation, this role will temporarily involve a mixture of working from home as well as in the office environment. Therefore it’s key that you have access to a suitable working environment if at home, away from any distractions and your own secure internet connection.
We have a number of different ways to work flexibly so at your interview feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you. There are no guarantees, however, it may open the door to not only a new role but a new way of working.
Please note: The vacancy will close at 00:01 on the closing date stated in the advert. Please ensure you start and complete your application by this time, and keep an eye on your application status to ensure everything required is complete.
- The application form consists of a CV upload, an online test followed by application questions. Please ensure you refresh the page each time you complete a task to ensure you complete everything that you need to in time.
- We occasionally close vacancies early in the event we receive a high volume of applications. Therefore, we recommend you apply early
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in the John Lewis Partnership. Our aim is to become the UK’s most inclusive business - for our Partners and for our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we serve. We want people from all walks of life to feel valued for their individuality, thrive in our business and share a sense of belonging. To find out more about D&I in the John Lewis Partnership click here - https://www.jlpjobs.com/about/diversityandinclusion/
Attachment: Assistant Company Secretary.pdf