IBM Research is the innovation engine of IBM. Nearly every game-changing breakthrough in the information technology industry has its roots in an IBM Research lab. It has been a home for creative scientific minds since 1945, when Thomas J. Watson Sr. established the first corporate pure science research lab in the U.S. We are primed to define the future of technology for many years to come specifically around the world of Artificial Intelligence. We believe AI will transform the world in dramatic ways in the coming years – and our Research AI group is advancing the field through our portfolio of research and through collaboration with like-minded institutions including MIT (MIT-IBM Watson Lab - http://mitibmwatsonailab.mit.edu ) and individuals to push the boundaries of AI faster – for the benefit of industry and society.
The mission of the IBM Research Human AI Interaction group is to design, create and evaluate platforms, tools and technologies that make it easy to build end-to-end AI systems at speed and scale. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
We are searching for a Research Staff Member to join our AI Design and Instantiation Lab in Cambridge, MA to lead research agendas and to communicate results to internal executive audiences and the academic community. We are specifically interested in scientists with interest and expertise in creating intelligent systems leveraging: Machine learning, deep learning (especially generative networks), reinforcement learning, graphical models for knowledge representation and reasoning, automated knowledge base creation, natural language processing and understanding (NLP & NLU), and Q&A systems.
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
Primary job category
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
Up to 10% or 1 day a week
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· Masters in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related technical field
· Expertise and experience in programming in one or more of these languages: Python, Java, C, C++, Go, Julia
· Advanced skill level in solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches
· Advanced skill level in creating and applying AI techniques specific to traditional machine learning and natural language processing
· Experience communicating your research in technical communities, such as publications in NIPS, CVPR, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, AAAI, KDD, or similar
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· PhD in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related technical fields
· Advanced skill level with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks including but not limited to Theano, Tensorflow, Caffe, Torch
· Experience analyzing large scale data from a variety of sources
· Design, validation, and characterization of algorithms and/or systems
· Contributions to open source projects
Secondary Job Category
Early Professional Track