The Network Engineering department within IBM Cloud's IaaS Network Engineering team provides incident and problem management, internal and external customer-driven changes, next generation network evolution guidance, network testing, new network solutions usecase validation, break-fix troubleshooting, and maintenance services for all aspects of data networking including but not limited to responsible for ongoing support of our global network infrastructure including routers, switches, datacenter network, transit and transport links which connect data centers sites to other networks and to other datacenter sites. The Network Engineer position is an individual who is an accomplished engineer with experience in network engineering and network operations.
The Network Engineer role includes the following responsibilities:
· Receive and manage escalations from other teams as well as various monitoring tools involving service-affecting issues.
· Troubleshoot, isolate and correct service-affecting issues on the network in areas including but not limited to: routing protocols, routers, switches, firewall administration, MPLS, BGP, VPN, load balancing.
· Plan, schedule, and implement network maintenance activities which include software upgrades, hardware replacement and network infrastructure augments/changes.
· As needed, implement approved routing policy changes/corrections to mitigate points of traffic congestion on the network due to planned or unplanned incidents.
· Work with network infrastructure/service providers to identify and correct causes of circuit disruption.
· Work with hardware vendors to determine causes of device failure/issues.
· Create network connectivity diagrams and other documentation of live network environments for internal and customer use.
· Incident management during critical events that impact the network, including internal and external communications, team coordination of repair and then root cause analysis efforts.
· Performance analysis and optimization
· Create diagrams and other documentation of network environments
· Communicate effectively with internal and external audiences with varying levels of technical expertise.
· Maintains high quality customer service to internal and external groups when needed.
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
Primary job category
Software Development & Support
(0063) IBM India Private Limited
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· Working knowledge of the following network protocols/technologies:
· BGP, MPLS, OSPF and related protocols
· Link aggregation protocols
· Dark fiber / DWDM systems
· Other skills:
· High Availability Technologies: HSRP, VRRP, MLAG, VSS, VPC
· Scripting Languages: Python, Perl, Bash, Expect/TCL
· Operating Systems: Linux, BSD
· Advanced Configuration of Arista, Juniper and Cisco devices
· Strong troubleshooting experience
· Ability to initiate and effectively utilize “remote hands” assistance within datacenter and carrier environments for items such as fault isolation, installation/test of structured cabling/cross-connects and troubleshooting physical equipment as well as replacing faulty components within a chassis.
· Position Requirements:
· On call rotation might also be required.
· 8+ years of experience in network engineering and operations in a multi-vendor environment
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· Periodic travel to other IBM Cloud IaaS offices and/or data centers may be required (< 10%)
· Demonstrated history of organization and time management skills
· Demonstrated history of verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work remotely with little or no direct supervision
· Exhibit a strong understanding of customer service
· Must be self-motivated and disciplined
· Ability to recognize and prioritize critical tasks independently
· Vendor Certifications: JNCIE, JNCIP, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE
· Vendor Hardware Platforms: Arista Switches, Cisco Nexus, Juniper MX
· Bachelors in Science degree in a computer technology field or equivalent experience
Secondary Job Category
Other Software Development & Support
Early Professional Track
Industry Early Professional
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client's data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.