Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
The GBS Strategic Design Team is looking to add a Service Designer to the team. We serve IBM’s consulting organization, leveraging design thinking to transform how we work and how we help our clients transform their businesses. You’ll collaborate on a variety of high-priority projects within IBM Services to design experiences for our internal teams and our clients, functioning as a key member of a multi-disciplinary squad focused on using design thinking and service design practices to create and iterate on these pivotal experiences.
· Working with data and qualitative insight, collaborate with the design team and key stakeholders to design solutions.
· Understand and articulate clearly how services need to change from a user-centered, system, and business perspective.
· Frame user opportunities within the context of business needs and effectively communicate with and enroll extended team to address those opportunities.
· Create world-class user experiences that support and reinforce IBM vision, brand and business objectives across all platforms.
· Provide support during discussions with clients and help assess design needs for projects.
· Understand the larger strategic goal and understanding how to work within that constraint.
· Produce artifacts required to develop and evolve user experience designs, developing mid-fidelity and hi-fidelity mockups when necessary.
· Rapidly build and iterate prototypes.
· Analyze success metrics and use that data to iterate, test and scale new service designs.
· Defend design choices using previous user research, heuristics, and usability standards
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· 3+ years of professional experience in a design consultancy or equivalent position
· Deep expertise in design thinking/human-centered design
· 3+ years of experience working with Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
· Portfolio that displays a solid understanding of design principles and interface design
· In-depth knowledge and experience within a relevant service design discipline; Systems Design, Business Design, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design)
· Ability to work within a self-directed culture and navigate ambiguity
· Strong communication and presentations skills
· Readiness to travel 5% annually
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
· Demonstrated ability to be empathetic and attuned to users' needs, motivations, and behaviors.
· Demonstrated ability to develop a conceptual model and deliver concrete experiences in service of that model.
· Experience working with stakeholders and the working team, to ensure the integrity of the design is upheld in the delivered product or service.
· Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in UX Patterns, web standards, mobile design patterns.
· Demonstrated ability to synthesize real user feedback into designs.
· Knowledge of accessible designs.
· Demonstrated ability to work with brand and design guidelines.
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including techniques to persuade and negotiate and the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
· Exceptional attention to detail.