Role Title: Marketing Manager, Planning & Operations
New or Existing Role? New
· This role is part of the Global Marketing function which is focused on supporting the strategic and revenue growth priorities of two Global Businesses: Commercial Banking (CMB) and Global Banking & Markets (GBM). The function focuses on understanding present and future customer needs and the identification, development and execution of marketing strategies, campaigns and activities that support and strengthen the HSBC brand, support the drive for revenue and increase customer value and satisfaction in order to meet agreed targets and objectives at both a global and market level.
· The Global CMB & GBM marketing teams consist of 3 parts:
· The Global CMB marketing strategy team
· The Global GBM marketing strategy team
· The Global CMB & GBM Integrated Marketing Communications team
· Collectively these teams are responsible for planning, executing and evaluating marketing initiatives to support the CMB and GBM business.
· The role holder is responsible for the day to day management of the Global CMB & GBM marketing spend for the teams above, including implementation of effective financial control. They are also responsible for coordinating marketing governance/processes ensuring alignment with the agreed blueprint.
Impact on Business
· The job holder is accountable for:
· Work with the Global Marketing COO and Finance teams to ensure effective financial controls and systems are in place to manage all marketing expenditure for the Global CMB and GBM marketing teams. This will include having robust systems and processes for recording marketing plans, budgets, expenditure requests, approvals, invoices, reconciliations, accruals, etc.
· Work with the team to maintain clear and accurate record for all Global CMB & GBM marketing expenditure, including latest estimates and forecasts.
· Day to day operational management of the Global CMB & GBM Marketing budget including implementation of effective control of marketing expenditure.
· Ensure the Global CMB and GBM marketing team adheres to the 3 Step Marketing Process and provides timely updates as requested
· Be the primary point of contact for the Global CMB & GBM marketing teams on all budget, operational and marketing activity tracking related queries
· Lead and co-ordinate all governance related processes/projects across the Global CMB & GBM marketing team
· Actively challenge/improve existing and new processes to ensure they are fit for purpose and as efficient as possible
Customers / Stakeholders
· Global Marketing CMB & GBM members
· Global Marketing COO team
· Finance teams
· Accounts Payable
Leadership & Teamwork
· The role holder is required to support the Global CMB & GBM marketing teams across a range of deliverables all pivotal in ensuring tight and efficient cost control and governance
· Clear advocacy and active demonstration of the principles of budget control is a requirement for this role. The jobholder is expected to lead by example in identifying opportunities and reasons to show this daily
· Work closely with the Global Marketing COO team
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Ensure that the guidelines and processes for marketing activity and budget measurement/control are communicated and implemented across the team.
· Adhere to the group and local internal control standards. Implement and observe Group Compliance Policy, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal / external auditors and external regulators
· Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of HSBC and market best practice
· Communicate and adhere to HSBC policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
· Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of Marketing policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
· The need to support many complex, diverse projects and initiatives
· Ensuring the interests of all CMB and GBM customers and internal stakeholders globally.
· Liaising with stakeholders and supporting a function spread across multiple geographies
· Four significant factors influence this role:
· Global Marketing strives to put the customer at the heart of everything we do.
· The function supports the business in driving top-line revenue growth across our key geographies.
· Global Marketing continues to support the business to deliver a customer-focused approach to Global Standards and regulatory agenda.
· In order to achieve synergies from the integrated global function, the jobholder will be required to leverage off the skills and people across the whole global function.
· The Global CMB and GMB businesses operate in c.55 countries and territories, with c.2m and 4,000 customers respectively. The combined CMB and GBM businesses generated revenue of $28bn and PBT of $12bn in 2017.
· The role is responsible for the day to day management of the marketing spend and direct functional costs for the Global CMB & GBM marketing team. For 2018, the budget is c. $20m.
· There are c 45 FTE working in the Global CMB & GBM marketing teams
Management of Risk
· The jobholder will continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
· This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring and also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department, and adherence to both Marketing and business risk appetite.
Observation of Internal Controls
· The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, including the Marketing FIM and Anti-Bribery & Corruption processes. The jobholder will also keep appropriate records and, where appropriate, the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
· The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
· This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.