Role Title: Global HOST HR Business Partner, Operations
Business: Human Resources
New or Existing Role- New
Grade: GCB3 -Director
· Responsible for the development & accountable for the execution of the strategic people plan for the applicable Global Operations functions, which sit within the HSBC Operations, Services & Technology (HOST) organisation.
· The role holder will report to the Global Head of HR for Operations and will primarily partner with ExCo members for the respective areas and their executive committees to drive business performance and organisational change with a view to achieving the business' strategic priorities. They will need to demonstrate leadership and role model behaviours, developing initiatives in conjunction with the HOST Consultancy Pool that create business value.
Impact on Business
· Work primarily with the relevant Operations Executive Committees to drive business performance through the execution of the strategic people strategy; delivering alignment between the business strategy and the people strategy
· Diagnose the people priorities of the plan which will enable the successful execution of the businesses strategy, leveraging internal strategy frameworks and the language of the business. Report progress, issues, dependencies and risks (in collaboration with the Consultancy Pool) to the relevant governance forum and make recommendations to influence decision making in order to maintain progress towards delivery and benefits realization. Ensure the smooth and timely handover of project activity into the business.
· Develop and deploy initiatives that create business value through collaboration with CoEs and HR Consultants, focused on outcomes based solutions aligned to specific business objectives, leveraging functional global products where relevant.
· Demonstrate personal focus on business outcomes; building and maintaining the status and visibility of a trusted adviser.
· Coaching and development for business leaders, facilitating provocative discussion, building leadership capability and authenticity
· Provide insights on the future of the workforce & recommendations to inform workforce strategy development, utilising analytics and leading data-driven discussions and debate on how this may impact impact/benefit the business plan and strategic priorities.
· Have close attention to organisational design and effectiveness supported by skill in talent development, leadership development and deployment
· In conjunction with the Centres of Excellence and Consultancy Pool, drive the Talent management agenda developing key and business critical talent, identifying and debating successors for key positions, ensuring continual focus on diversity.
· Sharp focus on operational and people risk.
Customers / Stakeholders
· Have the skill to quickly establish rapport and credibility with the clients. Demonstrate proactive operating style with the energy, passion and drive to enable clients to deliver their complex and challenging agenda. Act as a credible HR partner, passionate about ensuring HR is an enabler to success.
· Provides relationship management and advice to ExCo members and senior executives on strategic and operational human capital issues, by leading the alignment of the Strategic People Strategy to the Business Strategy and clearly articulating the value to the business.
· Delivers fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
· Understand the HR service delivery model – use positive and helpful language to champion the use of appropriate channels with the business, ensuring a customer centric approach.
· Consider all of HR function as one team. Navigate all areas of the service delivery model effectively and proactively interact / collaborate to understand overarching issues, leverage ideas and achieve a consistent employee experience.
· Continue to drive quality and increase the sophistication of the HR function as a whole. Pitch the HR proposition and personal brand in a way that strengthens client trust.
Leadership & Teamwork
· Sets expectations, shares best practice, coaches and develops fellow HRBPs and HR Consultants as they are deploying initiatives into the business.
· Leads and encourages constructive teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and taking prompt action to address any activities and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers. Role will collaborate and broker support from COEs on development and delivery of solutions relating to the people strategy.
· Drive to achieve High Performing collaborative leadership teams including development of collective leadership
· Reflect on own mind set and take ownership of role in delivering the HR function's value proposition
· Challenge business leaders on their thought processes, encourage consideration of different perspectives, encourage empathy to help leaders understand the behaviours of others.
· Be clear on the talent needs of the business – “talent” is more than just leaders, for example consider other technical talent requirements as dictated by business strategy.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Leads the continuing development, implementation and improvement of the processes, structures, capabilities, capacity and infrastructure needed to deliver agreed plans and targets, collaborating with colleagues to maximise end to end integration, effectiveness and efficiency.
· Establishes and maintains a robust and efficient control environment across HR to ensure good operational, financial and project management and compliance with HSBC policy and procedures, together with early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise.
· Leads the development, implementation and maintenance of an appropriate HR management information that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making.
· Leads the implementation and oversight of HR policy and governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
· Review and understand the business strategy, priorities and business plan. Including digesting the relevant financial metrics and being clear on what the business is aiming to achieve – both as standard and the stretch objectives/targets. Consider how the targets/objectives may shift during the course of the year and the potential knock on implications from a people perspective. Drive programme delivery proactively, balancing scope, stakeholders, interdependencies, budget, timeframes and risks.
· Ensure robust succession plans, including external potential succession, for all GSP-1 and key roles. Regularly review, validate and refresh. Consider platform role career/skill path planning informed by succession plans
· Advocate diversity of thought and demonstrate the benefits this can bring to business leaders
· Use talent data to help the business make better decisions and act upon them. Clear understanding on business/country headcount, population demographics etc. Know your business/country, what has changed/will change and why.
· Champions and embeds best practice management and administrative procedures in own area of responsibility and support implementation of transformational change.
· Support the design, delivery and enablement of global and local People Strategy.
· Apply several skills at once (such as business acumen, data judgment, leadership)
· Develop relationships with HR colleagues globally.
· Consistently manage a balance between the business change initiatives and HR driven initiatives intended to grow engagement with a backdrop of industry pressures, changes in the economy and ongoing revenue and cost challenges
· Manage a balance between organisational need, employee need, customer need and the HR teams' ability to deliver and change.
· HSBC operates in a fast paced, fiercely competitive and heavily regulated world-wide Financial Services market.
· The role sits within the HR Business Partnering framework, supporting the People Agenda.
· Business value, workforce strategy, talent initiatives, organizational effectiveness, leadership coaching & development
Management of Risk
· The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation. This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours required to support the Best Place to Bank principles of Make Better Products, Sell Them Properly and Keep Them Sold.
· The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
· This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
· Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
· This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
· The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence'. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy,escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
· Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
Observation of Internal Controls
· The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
· The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance' embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
· This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
· The Global Operations HRBP will have a strategy & change orientation. They will understand the commercial link and delicate balance required to manage, govern and control costs whilst maximising the customer experience. They will be interested in the external Operations landscape and its impact on the people agenda. They will have a change mind-set and be prepared to challenge the status quo in order to support the business to deliver change.
· They will have broad-based experience, which will include reward and performance, organizational development, talent management and leadership development. They will be a trusted advisor and partner to primarily their respective ExCo members. Financial Services experience is not essential but would be helpful to smooth integration. The HRBP will have to navigate the structural and cultural nuances of a globally matrixed organization managing the relationship between global and regional stakeholders. Shaping and developing a relevant people agenda which is aligned and will enable delivery of the Operations people strategy. The role is not solely focussed on the People agenda for the respective Operations functions but by its nature has a role in identifying and coordinating impacts across the entirety of Operations. As such this role will facilitate the People ExCo for Operations and will work close with HR consultants to deliver the business change & transformation agenda.
· Previous experience in a HRBP role level in a large scale multi-national and commercial environment.
· Ability to build relationships at all levels, strong communications skills and ability to navigate and influence across the organizational matrix
· Proven experience of delivering a proactive HR service and implementing a people strategy in line with business objectives.
· Strategic focus – can operate strategically and drive delivery aligned to the strategy
· A clear understanding of all aspects of HR and Talent Management.
· Skilled in managing organizational change and the ability to translate complexity and ambiguity into impactful delivery.
· Strong coaching, facilitation and consultancy skills.
· Skilled at managing relationships and conflicting priorities at a senior level
· Strong influencing skills.
· Ability to lead teams even if not directly reporting to them, motivate, coach, mentor and develop capability
· High degree of commercial acumen.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Makes good decisions based on a mix of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; sought out by others for advice; operates with integrity and trust
· Demonstrates positive and collaborative values and behaviours ensuring they are reflected across all people delivery touch points and demonstrated by the leadership of the function(s).
· Experience of having partnered an Operations ExCo or corporate function and/or change focused function
· Proven ability to develop and deliver people transformation in a large scale and complex business with significant offshore presence across multiple sites and geographies
· Diagnostic analysis
· Design thinking
· Workforce analytics
· Consulting framework
· Organisational design
· Innovation frameworks
· Deep expertise and experience in own market place.
· Consulting agility, commercial acumen, business fluency, visionary leadership, emerging trends prediction & adaptability, social science capability (understanding human behavior), building presence – impact & influence,
Within HSBC certain roles are designated as Enhanced Vetting Roles. For these roles, all internal and external applicants are required (subject to local laws), to pass satisfactorily a series of additional checks both as part of the application process and, if successfully recruited into the Enhanced Vetting role, on an on-going basis. The Group reserves its position with regard to any steps which it may take in relation to any material adverse findings which arise either when the checks are first carried out as part of this recruitment exercise, and/or if relevant, on an ongoing basis.
This role has been designated as an Enhanced Vetting Role.
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of our organizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought, background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive to implement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive and performance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.