Role Title: Global Data Steward
Business: HSBC Global Asset Management Ltd
New or Existing Role- Existing
Grade: GCB 4
In line with other members of the HSBC Group, HSBC Global Asset Management (AMG) has embarked upon a significant change programme focused on Data. This role will be the lead Global Data Steward with responsibility for ESG data.
ESG means using Environmental (E), Social (S) and Governance (G) factors to evaluate behaviour of companies.
HSBC Global Asset Management ambition is to be recognised as a socially responsible asset manager by having a product range focused on sustainable investing, and colleagues recognised as sustainable financial services thought leaders.
Environment, Social and Governance information (ESG) is required throughout the organisation to support different activities, for example for product teams to help design suitable products AMG should launch, for manufacturing teams to ensure ESG data is included in the investment decisions, and for reporting teams to provide information to regulators and clients.
This role ensures the AMG ESG data is maintained to a global standard leveraging the core platforms and that MI and use of the data is adopted across AMG. The role holder also has responsibility for the operating model and oversight of the data domain.
The role requires liason with multiple geographies and functions. The successful candidate will work with Business Managers, Project Managers and the wider Data Management team . The successful candidate is expected to:
• Support and drive development of the operational processes for data.
• Requirements development and business process refinement for global implementations, improving quality, standardisation and business processes for core global shared data.
• Provide expertise to the Data Management Teams and key business stakeholders with offshoring work
• Take responsibility for Group Data Governance, Data Quality and data processes in the development of data stewardship and quality processes in support of the mastering of data
• Drive forward changes and improvements aimed at implementing data change local and global domains in accordance with data standards and policies.
Impact on the Business:
• Manage the dependencies analysis, risk identification and identify mitigation options
• Deliver operational support to the locations for any global processes as defined
• Ensure there is a clear mapping of change by capturing the future state models and highlighting changes to the current processes so that they are both transparent and effectively transferred into a set of core operating procedures
• Deliver ongoing improvements with process driven solutions
• Manage delivery of services to SLA's and continuity/DR modelling
• Where necessary, define, participate and undertake testing, defect analysis and issue resolution during QA and UAT testing cycles
• Ensure there is a clear strategy and ownership remains with the data sponsors identified when agreeing changes.
Customers / Stakeholders
• Engage with key stakeholders to define process expectations and quality measurements
• Generate monthly Management Information around data quality for the global processes undertaken within central team.
• Analysis of data provided and refine to detail scope and work required
• Build strong relationships with local business teams, IT and BAU data management team
• Work with key stakeholders to implement efficient solutions to support the various change programs.
• Strong collaboration and management of IT partners
Leadership & Teamwork
• The role holder will work closely with all areas of AMG and will need to be able to work effectively remotely and across timezones.
• The role holder will also be expected to achieve results through influence and persuasion as well as exercise direct authority where appropriate.
• Lead by example the implemetnation and adoption of the group Data Policies and FIM for the domain
Operational Effectiveness & Control
• Follow the AMG FIM policies at all times
• Assist locations in implementing global operating models and changes
• Provide the Project Manager with regular reporting on the assigned deliverables
• Make suggestions for ongoing process changes
• Ability to work accurately under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Good influencing skills and interpersonal skills
• Multi disciplinary – Analysts need to be able to support the business requirements and solution designs
• Executing re-engineering efforts across a global business to maintain a global perspective.
• Ability to deliver re-engineering efforts in a consistent way to the business on time and within scope escaling major blockages/changes to scope in a timely manner to line management.
• A very good understanding of asset management business, and in particular how Data is used internally within the investment firm but crucially also by investors and intermediaries.
• Data Management experience is essential
• The ability to devise efficient solutions to business challenges and provide analytic expertise in operational change.
• A track record of working in a global environment with distributed business users and IT resources
• Able to interact with business stakeholders and should be confident to challenge the business, where appropriate, seeking guidance when required
• Be self -motivated and driven but able to manage/support and work within a team
• Identify and develop solutions to mitigate the risks identified as part of the project implementation approach, reporting and escalating, if necessary, issues for resolution.
Observation of Internal Controls
• Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
• Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy
Ideal candidate profile
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
• Proven ability to work accurately within tight timescales and interact well within a team environment.
• Familiarity with ESG data and/or the business processes it supports is desirable
• Good written/verbal communication skills.
• Ability to clearly articulate concepts and issues, manage/interpret the deliverables, and translate theory into practical business solutions.
• Previous experience of working in Data Management.
• Detail oriented and able to prioritise multiple projects and/or tasks.
• Good analytical skills with advanced MS suite (Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Visio, SQL) and data manipulation skills required
• The role requires an individual who is goal orientated, commercially minded, customer and results focused.
• Confidence and track record in building solid working relationships with key stakeholders, securing project resources or priorities from them through persuasion and influence.
• Self starter with proven ability to work collaboratively within a team and who can influence and motivate people around them.
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of our organizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought, background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive to implement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive and performance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.