Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
HSBC Digital Business Services is a pivotal part of the Group, providing essential operational and technical support to our global businesses and helping improve customer service and efficiency. Digital Business Services combines global expertise and technology to help keep us ahead of the competition.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Asia Pacific Data Utility Champion .
HSBC Data & Architecture Office (DAO) promotes a data-driven culture across HSBC through our strategy of:
· Protect: To protect our data we need robust policies for data management and enhanced governance e.g. data that is consumed from a trusted source, meets quality standards, and complies with regulatory obligations.
· Connect: Move to a data-led culture through enhanced training including on the job opportunities. Our talent is the glue between protecting our data and unlocking value for our customers.
· Unlock. Value is unlocked when we deliver on the opportunities our well-managed data presents e.g. improving customer / colleague experience, increasing revenue, commercializing our data, optimizing capital, enhancing risk management or reducing costs.
Data and Analytics Professionals at HSBC have responsibility for executing our HSBC Data Strategy. Their responsibilities are threefold:
· Recognising data as an asset to HSBC by managing Data Risk and ensuring we are compliant with our Data standards and policies;
· Using analytics and data science to unlock the value of our data; and
· Implementing and maintaining our Data Technologies.
The ASP Data Utility Champion supports all the Protect, Connect and Unlock pillars of the strategy.
· Under the ASP Head of Data and Architecture Office, the Data Utility Champion will lead the engagement with Asia Pacific (ASP) stakeholders to manage, prioritise and execute demand for utility services across all data chapters.
· The Utility Champion will establish and lead an effective Front of House (FoH) process for all ASP data utility demand and ensure that the requirements received into the Data Utilities are fully understood, analysed and interpreted into prioritised job tasks.
· A key role for the Utility Champion is to recruit and lead a team responsible to connect the ASP demand for data utility services to the related market, regional and global service providers and teams. This will include virtual as well as directly managed resources.
· This role will work across all Global Business/Functions and Locations across ASP to ensure data management and growth demand is met in a timely and effective manner.
· Implement best practice ways of working to support the data strategy across ASP
Key priorities in scope for the incumbent would include:
· Own and deliver end-to-end Data services across Asia Pacific (ASP) including leading the Data Controls Implementation covering Data Movement, Data Usage, and Data Storage
· Define and implement the Bank’s data strategy in ASP, enforce data policies and strategies across the organisation and support markets in the adherence and compliance to Data controls
· Data risk management oversight and oversight of related audit, regulatory and compliance activities
· Establish and lead an effective, well governed FoH operations and pipeline management capabilities
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
· Establish and lead an effective operations capability using Agile practices to receive, review, prioritise, triage and execute data requirements to meet customer demand across the Region
· Establish, lead and manage a transparent demand and prioritisation capability for ASP markets, businesses and functions to effectively manage capacity, deliver business benefit and ensure requests are scheduled and prioritised in line with the objectives of the region
· Manage stakeholders by reviewing and understanding their end-to-end requirements (including input, output, controls and source of data), assessing the utility services required to meet requirements, clearly articulating/agreeing SLAs and actively managing expectations
· Interpret and package the requirements into specific job tasks per the Utility service catalogue, and submit demand with the appropriate service/pod leads
· Collaborate with the Global Front of House demand management, Data Utility service leads and other Data Utility Champions to agree on the overall prioritised Book of Work across utility services
· Manage stakeholders (process owners, IT Service owners, data leads, etc) to ensure any necessary pre-work is completed per standard operating instructions prior to submission of utility demand
· Establish and lead an effective MI and backlog management process utilising standard tooling and dashboards, to ensure appropriate oversight, governance and escalation
· Collaborate with Data Utility service leads on requirements for future enhancements / improvements to services provided by the Data Utilities
· Establish and lead a high performing, valuable and scalable team of trusted advisors that manage stakeholder’s expectations and build collaborative and transparent working relationships across the ASP region
· Fully accountable for reporting of progress, issues, dependencies, and risks to stakeholders and senior leaders through key data governance forums in the region, markets and at steering committees.
· Lead, monitor and manage benefits delivery across multiple initiatives.
· Accountable to ensure deliveries remain within agreed budgets.
· Ensure that initiative objectives are clearly understood and mutually agreed by the stakeholders.
· Proactively manage stakeholder’s expectations with clarity on roles and responsibilities
· Take ownership and follow up
· Develop and maintain effective stakeholder relationships
· Ensure close coordination and collaboration with Support Functions.
· Engage the participants to deliver according to the plan irrespective of their reporting departments.
· Manage the pipeline of demand and ensure execution will meet the business requirements
· Provide clarity to stakeholders on SLAs to actively manage expectations
· Clarify the utility demand required to meet requirements and provide clarity on cost impact
· Providing timely and accurate status reporting to key stakeholders and sponsors and ensure any slippage to SLA is notified in a timely manner to minimise business impact
· Ensure all activities are compliant with HSBC business standards
· Effectively manage all dependencies and interactions across associated and complimentary projects / activities
· Monitor and track progress of all deliverables and ensure benefit realisation.
· Provide accurate and effective cost monitoring.
· Manage SLAs and ensure risks, issues and blockers are transparent and communicated in a timely manner
· For Risk and Issue management, detect and report risk and issue at timely manner, coordinate and identify solution with relevant parties and monitor progress to achieve the closure.
· Coordinate and provide rigorous Financial reporting around spend and benefit to business sponsors and Finance.
Leadership & Teamwork
· Provides motivational leadership, sets team performance expectations and monitors progress
· Overall responsibility for building and supervising a high performing team, or managing delivery for complex assignments
· Attract and lead top talent to deliver data management services.
· Build and leverage strong relationships with senior leaders across HSBC and to understand, prioritise and meet demand for data management which supports overall business strategy.
· Maintain an effective Data operating model (organisation, people, process, and tools) across the region
All staff are responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of the controls that are in place to manage the risks in the processes and activities that they undertake in their day to day role.
Good conduct at HSBC means that we deliver fair outcomes for customers, and do not disrupt the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets. We exist to serve our customers and our approach to conduct helps us ensure that we know and understand them and deliver products and services that meet their genuine needs. Our conduct framework provides us with a set of outcomes to achieve across everything we do and can be found within the Group’s Global Principles, and on the Conduct SharePoint site together with our Global Conduct Requirements.
Chapter / Sub-chapter Knowledge
The Data Management chapter provides thought leadership and execution in Data Governance, Data Privacy, Data Quality and Information Lifecycle Management and Record Keeping. The Chapter contributes to the design and development of appropriate control processes and tools to manage Data Risk, educates in their purpose and application and implements and operates these controls on behalf of Businesses, Functions and Regions.
Data Management Leadership is the ability of an individual (or a group of individuals) to influence and guide a team, either directly or indirectly. They empower their team to be at their best. In Data Management, leaders are experts in data management that are accountable for (one or more of) control design, implementation and operation of controls and thought leadership through advisory services. They define their team’s vision, ensuring clarity on roles and responsibilities, whilst collaborating with all teams across HSBC.
· Track-record of developing and implementing an operations/pipeline management function.
· Extensive experience of leading multi-disciplined teams to deliver exceptional customer service and value.
· Proven ability to deliver change across matrix-based organizations
· Experience in demand and capacity management
· Proven track record in establishing high performing teams
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skill.
· Experience in delivering in a highly regulated environment.
· Experience in data management, information lifecycle management or privacy preferable.
· Experience in using Agile methodologies highly desirable
· Broad and comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles within multiple disciplines or a fast changing discipline
Business / Commercial knowledge
· The role requires a comprehensive understanding of how all value units / products / regions / legal entities collectively integrate, alongside a comprehensive knowledge of the industry in order to contribute to the commercial objectives of HSBC.
· Management responsibility of multiple teams, through subordinate managers, with accountability for independent budgets
· Covers a wide range of diverse activities that require complex judgements and solutions based on conceptual thought and strategic vision and analysis
· Is proactive in developing ideas, continuously searching for improvements in techniques which add value to the business and has full responsibility for implementation.
Accountability / decision making
· Latitude to make decisions within the objectives of HSBC global business / global function overall. Little guidance is available and role holder is expected to formulate strategy following the objectives of the business.
· Creates business plans for own teams and expected to contribute into value unit / region / product / legal entity strategy.
· The role holder must possess a high level of sensitivity to the audience, be able to modify the beliefs and opinions of others, and negotiate with significant latitude for the final outcome.
· The role requires the ability to negotiate and influence within their team with a high level of influence.
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.