Sr. Systems Software Engineer
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is seeking a highly motivated Storage Systems Software Engineer with Linux and embedded C development experience to join our R&D team in the San Jose, California office. We are looking for talented software engineers with strong programming experience and expertise in large systems technology environments.
This position involves developing new software features for HPE's 3PAR family of storage products. 3PAR Storage Servers use a cluster-based architecture to deliver a single storage platform that scales from two and eight controllers while offering a highly available storage server capable of tolerating hardware and software faults without service interruption.
This individual will design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for software enhancements and new products; develop software including storage systems, operating systems both kernel and user mode; determine hardware compatibility and/or influences hardware design.
· Design, implement, and update Linux Kernel based IO for Fibre Channel(FC), NVMe, and SCSI including debug and support.
· Linux USER space IO development and debug
· Writes and executes complete testing plans, protocols, and documentation for assigned portion of application; identifies and debugs, and creates solutions for issues with code and integration into application architecture.
· Designs enhancements, updates, and programming changes for portions and subsystems of systems software.
· Analyzes design and determines coding, programming, and integration activities required based on general objectives and knowledge of overall architecture of product or solution
· Represents the software systems engineering team for all phases of larger and more-complex development projects.
· Reviews and evaluates designs and project activities for compliance with systems design and development guidelines and standards; provides tangible feedback to improve product quality and mitigate failure risk.
· Provides domain-specific expertise and overall software systems leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities.
· Drives innovation and integration of new technologies into projects and activities in the software systems design organization.
· Lead project teams of other software systems engineers and internal and outsourced development partners responsible for all stages of design and development for complex products and platforms, including solution design, analysis, coding, testing, and integration.
· Collaborates and communicates with management, internal, and outsourced development partners regarding software systems design status, project progress, and issue resolution.
· Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
Education and Experience Required:
· Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
· Typically 6+ years experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
· Strong hands on advanced C programming and debugging skills
· Strong hands on Linux kernel/user mode multiprocessor, multithreaded programming
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills
· Experience with multiple software systems design tools and languages
· Strong knowledge of defensive, test driven programming techniques
· Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle, Adaptive to Agile environment
· Experience in overall architecture of software systems for products and solutions
· Evaluating forms and processes for software systems testing and methodology, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools
· Distributed systems knowledge is – strong plus
· Exposure to one or more of the following: Fibre Channel(FC), NVMe, iSCSI, or SAS – strong plus
· Exposure to storage technologies: Compression, Deduplication and Volume management Experience in Enterprise Storage Systems, RAID Storage – a plus
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at senior management levels
· Ability to be proactive, productive, and flexible in a fast-paced environment
· Effective collaboration, relationship building, and influencing of team members to work towards a common goal
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is EEO F/M/Protected Veteran/ Individual with Disabilities.
HPE will comply with all applicable laws related to the use of arrest and conviction records, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.