Job Description SummarySign-on Bonus Available!
GE’s Onshore wind power capacity is growing fast and will continue to rise steadily in the coming years. As we continue to grow and develop new and existing wind sites, Onshore Wind has an ongoing need to build our field teams with the right individuals that possess a willingness to learn, contribute and grow. As part of the GE family, training and development, safety, and career progression lead our initiatives to provide opportunity and growth in all areas.
GE’s Onshore Wind business has a total installed base of more than 50,000 wind turbines in more than 35 counties, with 100+ GW of global installed capacity. We harness increased onshore wind energy potential through a broad family of turbines that are uniquely suited for a variety of wind environments, including Cypress, GE’s most powerful onshore wind turbine, and GE’s 2MW platform, which has more than 20GW installed and in operation today. We are committed to our customers’ success in wind, offering a broad portfolio of products and services that make renewables the energy of choice for a cleaner future.
Why we come to work:
At GE Renewable Energy, our service teams keep our world moving. They’re adaptable, determined, and safety-focused, thriving in high-pressure situations. They’re the kind of people who dig deep for answers, work collaboratively with the right teams to drive solutions, and who sit back and smile when they know they have done a great job. As part of this team, you’ll be rewarded with autonomy and trust, a collaborative, supportive team, and the chance to be empowered and successful, every single day.
Title: Wind Technician – Campbell County (Glenham, SD)
The Wind Technician is a critical and active role to maintain optimal function and output at the wind site by working daily on turbine operations, required maintenance, safety, quality control and warranty repair(s). The Wind Technician partners and communicates with the Site Lead and Manager to execute on contract requirements and timelines and ensures alignment with GE excellence!
As the Wind Technician – Campbell County, you will:
- Work with site leadership to execute contractual obligations per customer requirements and activities set forth with on a daily basis, which include any portion of the electrical and mechanical equipment used in the GE wind turbine generator;
- Perform maintenance, repair or replacement of parts to correct malfunctions;
- Troubleshoot complex mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical problems on variable pitch & variable speed turbines;
- Help in all areas of site operations as directed by manager with minimal supervision,
- Perform some diagnostic electrical analysis;
- Document all work performed using computer based service reporting procedures and
- Work with and respond to GE’s remote operations center when necessary.
- High School Diploma or GED, and
- Passing a Technical Knowledge Assessment, and
- 1+ year(s) experience as a Wind Technician/Wind Mechanic, or
- Completed Wind Certificate Program/Associates Degree in Energy, or
- 2 years of electrical work experience.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Handle repetitive weight of 50 lbs, and climb towers up to 300 feet daily
- Meet specified manufacturer weight limits not to exceed 300lbs including required gear.
- Understand electrical schematic drawings, technical manuals, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability and willingness to work in range of environments to include but not limited to industrial facilities, manufacturing facilities, and power industry facilities
- Flexibility to work rotating shift schedules, and on-call per site needs.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical, Electrical, or Electronics field from an accredited college or university
- Technical Certification in Wind Energy or Electrical / Electronic field
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel at all levels inside and outside of the Wind Farm
- Wind turbine experience
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, and work without direct supervision
- Electrical, mechanical, and/or hydraulic experience
- Experience using hydraulic power tools
- Experience with heavy equipment required for facility maintenance with a working knowledge of crane and rigging requirements
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No