Systems Engineer for Aerospace Electrical Power Distribution System
Cheltenham (Gloucestershire) Logistics
Job Description SummaryReady to take your #engineering career to new heights?
From the Dassault Future Falcon to the Boeing 777X, from the F35 Joint Strike Fighter to new exciting hybrid electric opportunities, the momentum at GE Aviation Systems has never been greater!
We are currently recruiting for an early career Systems Engineer to join the team working on our Electrical Power Distribution system for the Boeing 777X. Alongside a team of experienced and developing Engineers you will get hands on with the whole system lifecycle of the product plus the future option to work on different projects across our Avionics and aircraft Power systems within the Systems and Software New Product Introduction department.
Whether you are a recent graduate, or a current Systems, Software or Electronics Hardware engineer who wants to move into the next step of their career as a Systems Design and Integration engineer, this role could be for you.
You will be joining an inclusive and diverse team of experienced technical systems and software engineers who care about ensuring full lifecycle completeness and consistency for our products. We are committed to improving our project execution through taking a lean and innovative approach to problem-solving and continuous improvement. We share technical knowledge and lessons learnt with others in the team, the department and across the wider engineering organisation. We are passionate about professional growth and developing our team culture, capability & capacity to meet customer needs whilst enabling every engineer to reach their potential through continuous learning.
If this sounds like an environment in which you would thrive, then apply now!
The role will be based in Cheltenham, supplemented with a site-wide hybrid working model that is based on needs of the project (eg. How much hands-on engineering lab time is required, or face-to-face team collaboration activities).
Roles and Essential Responsibilities
Systems engineering is a cross-functional engineering discipline centred on an approach, a mindset, and a process. All activities consider both the business and the technical needs of the customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the users’ needs.
For the 777X Electrical Load Management System, the position will work with an initial focus on the right-hand side of the V model supporting systems verification, test execution and drive to release final product, this includes:
- Reviewing updated requirements and developing System verification artifacts accordingly
- Working in our engineering laboratories running verification and integration tests on real hardware
- Analysis of results and raising meaningful Problem Reports as part of continuous improvement and quality initiatives
- Preparation of verification test reports and participating in technical and programme reviews and release of such documentation; sometimes with the end customer!
- Performing Verification compliance analysis, thread pulls and traceability reviews to show how the whole is being met
- Help to generate the evidence needed by Certification Authorities to prove the product is safe to fly
Follow on work in 2023 will give more left-hand side exposure of new requirements definition, design assessment and implementation in support of the Freighter variant of the platform and/or any Airline specific customisations required of the product.
We want our engineers to take ownership, be accountable, and be proud of the work you are performing.
- Previous experience in an aviation, automotive or similar embedded systems development environment is helpful as it demonstrates understanding of working to rigorous industry mandated development standards; for example, ARP4754A. This shows a knowledge of working with complex system designs, for implementation in hardware and software.
- An appropriate degree or HND in Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Physics or similar subject, or equivalent experience shows a logical mindset, alongside good problem solving and solution building skills.
- Product and specific process and tools knowledge will be learned whilst in role, but a basic awareness of the systems design lifecycle will help you in participating in activities such as capturing, understanding and documenting the customer’s system and testing requirements. Familiarity of what makes a good requirement and how this impacts validation. Understanding of baseline management is essential. Awareness of different verification strategies and test equipment will aid in creating, updating and performing systems tests – be it script-based automated tests, or writing procedures for manual actions. Understanding of test infrastructure and design of testing facilities is beneficial to the success in this role.
- You will be required to work in a team environment, so good written and verbal communication skills will make you (& the team) most effective. You will be asked to participate in technical and programme reviews to business leads, as well as even the end customer!
- But most important is a positive attitude, initiative, pro-activeness and an enthusiasm and passion for systems engineering will help you succeed in the department. Our goal as a team is to demonstrate success in achieving and exceeding customer expectations.
OC Robotics supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At OC Robotics we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to OC Robotics we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Non-contributory Pension
- Performance related bonus
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days + 8 public holidays, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Additional Job Description
Relocation Assistance Provided: No