GE Renewable Energy
Renewable Energy Digital Services
The High Voltage (HV) Technician in the Sweetwater, TX area will be responsible for conducting planned maintenance outages and in correcting unplanned outages in renewable energy project substations and collection systems as needed. In this position, you will bring knowledge and experience of switching and LOTO substation components and collection systems, and assist in troubleshooting and return to service evolution.
The High Voltage Technician will work in the field, hands on with other employees and site personnel performing and assisting with LOTO (Lock Out & Tag Out), electrical safety, and best work practices. You will review arc flash hazard studies, read one line diagrams, schematics, civil drawings, mechanical drawings, equipment manuals, and other technical documents to develop switching orders for HV operations in the substation and collection system. You will assist site technicians in proper switching of pad mount transformers and substation components.
As the High Voltage Technician, you will possess the ability to:
· Work safely in and around energized substations and collection systems, perform thorough inspections of substations, collection, and transmission systems, and respond to off-hour trouble issues and events
· De-energize equipment and safely discharge stored energy, troubleshoot equipment problems and issues to the component level, and remove & replace faulty electrical components (e.g. motors, aux relays, and coils)
· Download event files from the SEL (Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories) relays and Tesla DFR (Digital Fault Recorder)
· Repair electric cable splices and t-body / elbows
· Interface and communicate effectively with off-site support
· Perform fleet and site HV maintenance (i.e. replacing desiccant on transformers)
· Perform standardized OEM preventative and predictive maintenance
· Identify necessary safety equipment and tools (e.g., grounds, switch-stick, meters)
· Perform SEL Relay interrogation and the ability to input configuration changes
· Troubleshooting HV Substations and collection systems.
· Maintain strong safety mindset to assure the executed work reflects the technical requirements within GE safety standards
· Respond to requests for emergency repairs and provide outage response in accordance with contractual requirements
· Develop and further expand technical knowledge of currently recognized industry standards for HV system maintenance
· Ensure safe use of additional equipment such as man lifts, bucket trucks, fork lifts, and aerial platforms
· Perform IR (infrared) scanning, transformer oil sample collection, substation battery testing and maintenance, and other HV eBOP (Electrical Balance of Plant) activities
· And all other duties as assigned
· High School Diploma / GED
· Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally 80% of the time, as required
· Ability and willingness to possess and maintain a valid driver's license
· Ability and willingness to handle repetitive weight of up to 50 lbs., to include lifting, carrying up to 100 feet, and maneuvering at waist height and overhead
· Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions
· Ability and willingness to work in range of environments to include but not limited to industrial facilities, manufacturing facilities, and power industry facilities
· Ability and willingness to repeatedly use a minimum of a 6 foot shotgun stick to lift size 4/0 cable protective grounds and clamps and apply grounds to Pad Mount transformers or overhead bus work in substations
· Ability and willingness to perform all necessary duties while wearing 40 calorie flash gear in extreme weather conditions of hot and cold
· Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical, Electrical, or Electronics field from an accredited college or university
· Technical Certification in Wind Energy or Electrical / Electronic field
· Ability to read and understand electrical schematic drawings
· Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel at all levels inside and outside of the Wind Farm
· Wind turbine experience
· Ability and willingness to take initiative, and work without direct supervision
· Ability and willingness to read, interpret technical manuals, procedures, and regulations
· Ability to write reports, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure
· Electrical, mechanical, and/or hydraulic experience
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on twitter:@geconnections
GE Renewable Energy harnesses the earth’s most abundant resources – the strength of the wind, the heat of the sun and the force of water – to power the world’s biggest economies and the most remote communities.
With an innovative spirit and an entrepreneurial mindset, we engineer energy products and digital services that create industry-leading value for our customers around the world.
We see the promise of renewable energy everywhere we look. Our team has the courage, scale, passion, diversity and resourcefulness needed to deliver that promise wherever and however the world needs it.
Together with our customers, we’re proving that no one ever has to choose between affordable, reliable, or sustainable energy.
We are unleashing limitless energy.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).