State and Local Tax (SALT) Senior, Financial Services – Wealth & Asset Management
EY is the only professional services firm with a separate business unit that is dedicated to the financial services marketplace. Our Financial Services Organization (FSO) teams have been at the forefront of every event that has reshaped and redefined the financial services industry. If you have a passion for rallying together to solve the most complex challenges in the financial services industry, come join our dynamic FSO State and Local Tax team!
EY’s SALT team is a growing practice within the organization, and you'll see that growth reflected in your career. As a Tax Senior, you’ll see the financial services industry by being immersed in the evolving state and local tax environment through a diverse set of experiences in serving hedge fund and private equity clients. Having gained ample support and training from some of the most knowledgeable colleagues in the industry, there will be opportunities to progress to manager.
Your key responsibilities
It’s fair to say there’s no average day for a State and Local Tax Senior – so you’re likely to spend your time on a diverse array of projects, responsibilities and tasks. We’ll look to you to support managers to partners in providing tax services. You’re likely to balance your time between compliance and planning, focusing on and interacting directly with our clients. Whatever you’re working on, our clients will turn to you for up-to-the-minute state and local tax advice they can always rely on. To make that happen, you’ll be working in a highly collaborative culture, alongside colleagues from different practices, where listening to and sharing information is an essential part of the role.
Skills and attributes for success
· Working with a motivated team of professionals
· Building effective long-term relationships with our clients
· Maintaining your reputation in your field by constantly updating and sharing your technical and finest practice knowledge
· Managing, coaching and developing a team of tax professionals; reviewing work; and helping to confirm your team has the knowledge, tools and opportunities it needs to excel
To qualify for the role you must have
· A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related discipline, or a graduate degree in Tax or Law
· A CPA license or be a licensed attorney, or have the ability to achieve either certification
· A minimum of two to three years of relevant work experience in a professional services or professional tax organization
· A thorough understanding of automated tax processing systems and laws within your area of technical professionalism
· Excellent collaboration and negotiation skills, and the confidence to challenge senior colleagues and stakeholders from a diverse range of backgrounds
· A commitment to continuing your learning
Ideally, you’ll also have
· Experience with state partnership tax
· Proficiency in Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Experience with return preparation software
· Experience in working in a variety of teams
· Ability to adapt your work style to work with both internal and client team members
What we look for
We’re interested in people with initiative who are not afraid to speak up, with a genuine desire to service clients in the financial services industry focused on state and local taxes. If you’re ready to further build on your reputation as a professional advisor, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, both pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 15 days of vacation plus 10 observed holidays and three paid personal days, and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer the following:
· Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
· Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
· Freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.