Assistant Engineering Consultant
An exciting opportunity to work within EY’s Innovation Incentives team based in London.
EY’s Innovation Incentives team is a specialist team made up of scientist and engineers as well as tax and accounting professionals. Serving a variety of clients from owner managed businesses to multinational groups, we support companies in claiming the R&D tax credits and applying for cash grants which were introduced by the government to encourage UK companies to invest in innovation.
The successful candidate will get the opportunity to work as part of the wider Business Tax Advisory group of EY, in a diverse team of highly successful tax and industry specialists.
You will be required to work closely with senior and lead engineers of our clients across the relevant engineering sectors and will be responsible for analysing scientific and technological aspects of their R&D projects. You will play an active role in developing technical reports of clients’ projects and taking part in extensive client communication.
As well as working directly with existing clients, you will also be offered the chance to support business development opportunities and cross-sector engineering claims.
This opportunity is ideal for an engineer (with industry experience) wishing to use their engineering knowledge in a creative and analytical way and looking for an opportunity to take a leading role with clients. This role will require you to work in close collaboration within a team-based and consultancy environment. It will also require you to have strong technical knowledge, technical report writing skills, interpersonal and communication skills, project management skills and client relationship-building abilities.
Your key responsibilities
· Leading or working as an effective member of a project team, exhibiting strong communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with other team members of different skill sets
· Writing compelling technical project reports to bring out the key technical factors of client projects to support R&D tax claims
· Interaction with clients' senior technical and engineering staff in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of the projects undertaken and identify how aspects of projects meet the R&D Guidelines
· Application of advanced problem solving skills and critical thinking to apply to project execution and delivery
· Building and maintaining relationships with clients to provide high levels of client service
· Responsible for high-quality delivery of advice and solutions to major clients, ensuring management of risk and reputation
· A keen desire to adapt and flex existing knowledge to different engineering sectors and build on the core capabilities
Skills and attributes for success
· Engineering or Science Degree qualified
· Ideally, you will have work experience in your chosen industry as an engineer
· You have experience in dealing with technological challenges faced by industry professionals, such as engineering design, the development or improvement of manufacturing processes, development of new products and improvement to existing products
· You have the ability to swiftly adapt to and learn about different industry sectors – such as automotive, aerospace, civil, defence, food& drink, life sciences, electronics, and have strong business acumen
· You interact readily with other technical professionals, have outstanding interpersonal skills and excel in eloquence and concise summary of information
· Strong attention to detail and first-time accuracy is essential
· Interest in project and company finances and the application of tax treatment
To qualify for the role, you must have
· Engineering or Science Degree qualified
· Excellent communication and negotiation skills and a collaborative approach to management
· The flexibility to constantly learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment
Ideally, you’ll also have
· Work experience in your chosen industry as an engineer in form of placements while at university or 1-2 years industry experience
What we look for
We’d like to hear from you if have a genuine creative vision and the confidence to make it happen. You can expect plenty of autonomy in this role, so if you have strong technical, interpersonal and communication skills with an enthusiasm to build client-relationships, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
· Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
· Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
· The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark.
Apply now. #LI