EY's National Tax Department (NTD) serves high-profile clients by providing a range of tax planning and tax-related advisory services. The combination of knowledge and experience forms the basis of our ability to assist clients in meeting their business objectives. The Exempt Organizations (EO) Tax Services practice operates within the NTD, and focuses exclusively on tax exempt organizations, including: universities, health care systems and high profile charities that are integral to the well-being of their communities. As part of the EO team, you will have the chance to help ensure these organizations maintain their tax exempt status and are viable to serve their exempt purpose for years to come.
As a member, you will build your knowledge of tax exempt organizations and advise how to maintain their exemption from paying taxes. As you progress, you'll become a trusted business advisor to your clients while helping organizations grow. You will also benefit from being mentored by nationally recognized tax professionals who include some of the firm's most senior tax talent.
Your key responsibilities
As a Senior, you'll provide clients with tax guidance and planning related to protecting tax-exempt status ' preparing and reviewing tax returns for exempt organizations and their taxable affiliates (990s/1120s/1065s and related filings; including international filings, IRS audit defense strategies, and other tax matters). While focusing on key client issues in federal taxation, you'll implement tax strategies that align with the client's business objectives. The EO practice invests in training its team to develop technical skills around new areas of the law. Through your experiences, you'll develop your skillset based on how tax exempt organizations perform their missions within their communities.
Skills and attributes for success
· Provide high-quality services and work products that exceed client expectations
· Build client relationships and demonstrate knowledge of client business
· Build on technical competence by keeping up to date on trends, developments and technical authorities and apply them to moderately complex situations
· Demonstrate professionalism; maintaining the confidential and proprietary nature of client relationships and related work products.
· Contribute to the success of the team: developing thorough understanding of EY methodologies/tools to enhance service delivery, seek opportunities to provide tax services, challenge procedures used in the past, and find new approaches
· Help develop staff and other junior tax professionals by providing effective performance feedback
To qualify for the role you must have
· A bachelor's degree in a related field, supported by significant tax or legal experience; MST, MAcc, JD/LLM preferred
· Valid US Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or active state bar membership or progress toward certification li>
Minimum of 3 years of work experience in professional tax organization, law firm, or IRS
· Understanding and experience with tax-exempt and non-profit taxation
· Strong analytical skills, interpersonal, and written/verbal communication skills; problem-solving ability and attention to detail
Ideally, you'll also have
· Experience in large tax-exempt organization tax compliance/consulting in either professional tax firm, IRS or law firm
What we look for
We are interested in candidates with strong business development, communication and leadership skills while multitasking and working effectively across multiple projects and deadlines. Successful candidates will thrive in an exciting team environment. If you are ready to progress in your career, take ownership of your development, and make a measurable difference in both your career and your community, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, both pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 22 days of vacation plus 10 observed holidays and 3 paid personal days and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Plus, we offer
· Support, coaching and feedback from experienced professionals and leaders in the field
· Engaging projects that allow you to work with organizations that directly help their communities
· Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
· The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that is right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world. Apply now.
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.