EY’s Financial Services Tax team in Birmingham has ambitious plans for the coming years and we are setting out a clear message that we‘re building a team for the future. We want the right people on board to achieve these growth objectives.
Joining our team as an Operational Taxes Advisor in Birmingham you will be helping clients across the Financial Services industry (Banking, Insurance and Asset Management) meet the complex demands of today’s customer and operational taxes environment. You will help to manage relationships with some of our key local clients, both delivering services and introducing deep specialists to them as required.
As part of EY’s Vision 2020, we have ambitious plans to develop and expand by creating a high performing Financial Services Tax team Birmingham, offering an exceptional service to our clients and winning in our local market. Being based in Birmingham will help us to serve and strengthen relationships with our clients locally. Our goal is to become the advisor of choice to FS clients and our plans for rapid growth will make us the largest team of FS tax specialists within the region.
For anyone joining the team, it will of course require hard work, but you will be rewarded with an exceptional experience. You will have the opportunity to bring your expertise to help drive the growth of our business and build key relationships with prestigious local clients. Playing a key role in this success will give you the skills you need to propel your career to the highest level, while gaining a broader experience than you might receive in larger, more-established teams.
EY Birmingham is a fantastic place to live and work. Our office is large enough to look after some of the biggest names in global business, but small enough to have a closer, family feel. With Birmingham’s increasing prominence as a leading Financial Services centre and being one of the best places to work in the UK, living here enables a better quality of life without sacrificing on a fascinating and rewarding career. And with EY’s strong, people-focused culture that we’re known for, you’ll be rewarded and recognised for your hard work and efforts.
The FS tax practice in Birmingham is newly established and is building on the success of our wider FS tax practice in the UK which has grown rapidly over recent years and created the need for regionally based tax expertise specialised in the sector. Joining the team will give you the unique opportunity to influence, shape and mould the tax practice whilst gaining invaluable experience.
The Birmingham FS team all sit together in a collaborative environment enabling you to work closely with the different areas of our business and gain experience across FS sectors. We also maintain strong links to specialists across all our Financial Services teams across the UK to share knowledge and stay up to date with the latest trends.
If you’re creative, innovative, curious and looking to progress in your career this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Your key responsibilities
• Contributing to building and maintaining key client relationships by delivering exceptional client service
• Ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach taken on all projects
• Identifying and driving opportunities –use your knowledge gained from other projects and from our knowledge sharing sessions and technical training to add input to new projects and proposals
• Building your own strong client and internal relationships - develop and use your relationship skills to create your own external and internal networks
• Counsel and develop more junior staff through delegation and on the job training
Skills and attributes for success
• Strategically and commercially aware
• Ability to build strong client relationships and committed to delivery of exceptional client service
• Excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral.
• Enthusiastic and flexible attitude to work
• Strong and motivated team player who integrates with new teams quickly
• Coaching and developing more junior staff
• Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out effective reviews and know when to refer upwards
• Effective time management - ability to remain calm when meeting deadlines
• Proven ability to analyse and create innovative solutions to problems
To qualify for the role you must have
• Experience in customer tax and / or operational taxes within large accountancy, HMRC or in-house compliance functions (e.g. Tax Operations/KYC/AML)
• Graduate/graduate calibre or equivalent work experience
Ideally, you’ll also have
• Experience working within the financial services sector, but this is not necessary as sector specific training and on the job coaching will be available
• Previous people management experience
• Experience of coaching and developing more junior team members
What we look for
The types of project you’ll contribute towards may include:
• FATCA / CRS compliance programs
• FATCA / CRS reporting services
• Tax crime compliance e.g. Corporate Criminal Offence / Criminal Finances Act
• Ad hoc operational taxes technical advisory (AEOI, QI, ISAs, Pensions)
• Customer Tax Reporting
• Domestic tax reporting / Making Tax Digital
In return we’ll provide investment in the right sort of training and offer you the opportunities on projects and assignments that will develop and challenge you so that you’re in the best place to further develop as tax professional.
Whatever the projects and assignments you work on you can be confident that you’re contributing towards helping our clients to develop and execute their international tax strategy ensuring technical excellence and providing the highest levels of client service.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
• Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.