Running a business is all about making intelligent decisions, powered by accurate information. As an Infrastructure Advisory Associate, you’ll help make that happen. You will be an important part of our diversely talented, highly experienced team and work at the forefront of high-profile infrastructure projects. When you join our industry-leading team, you’ll be right at the heart of that challenge, working with leading business tools and methodologies to provide to some of the most sophisticated clients around.
Infrastructure Advisory is a specialty practice within EY's Strategy and Transactions service line. The team advises through the full lifecycle of infrastructure projects across Canada and globally and is recognized in the market as a leading advisor, recognized through local and international awards for innovation.
We advise across sectors including transportation (e.g., transit, highways, airports), healthcare, environmental, energy and utilities, resources, schools and municipal facilities, among others. Some of our recent innovative, progressive federal projects include VIA’s High Frequency Rail, the development of the new office complex in Ottawa, the government’s new biomanufacturing complex in Montreal as well as the demolition of the Champlain Bridge in Montreal. We also were the primary advisors on the Blue Line subway extension in Montreal, the Ontario Line Subway, South Niagara Hospital and Peel Renewable Natural Gas Project in Ontario, Halifax Organics Waste Management Facility and Highway 104 Twinning in Nova Scotia, and the Valley Line West Light Rail Transit and P3 Schools Bundle in Alberta, as well as major hydroelectric projects from coast to coast including Muskrat Falls in NL and Site C in BC. We work across the spectrum of procurement methods including P3’s as well as progressive and collaborative procurement approaches for large scale complex projects. The practice is recognized as a trusted source by public sector departments, ministries and agencies, as well as by private sector market participants, for its expertise throughout a project’s lifecycle.
We are a growing practice that has the resources to serve any client, anywhere in the world. With so many offerings, you will have the opportunity to develop your career in a friendly, collaborative environment through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
Your key responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced and strong candidate to join in a managerial role as an Associate or Senior Associate in the Infrastructure Advisory team. This position will fill an integral role that involves working closely with other members of the rapidly growing national Infrastructure Advisory team to execute a variety of engagements related to the planning, development, delivery and operations of major infrastructure projects.
Skills and attributes for success
• Develop and review complex financial models to reflect the commercial arrangements of the particular infrastructure project on which the team is advising.
• Undertake quantitative and qualitative analysis of financials and documentation to develop and report findings relevant to the client.
• Manage and execute on multiple assignments with an exceptional standard of performance.
• Research, summarize and interpret accounting, tax and financial market information to be used in financial modelling, competitive analysis, industry analysis, scenario analysis and negotiation support, and various other applications.
• Prepare quality drafts of reports and presentations for client submissions and meetings.
• Prepare quality drafts of marketing materials and transaction proposals within limited timelines.
• Collaborate with other team members in identifying and exploring potential new business opportunities.
• Manage EY analysts who are part of teams advising both governments and private sector clients on major infrastructure projects and contribute to the development of junior staff.
• Assist with the delivery of procurement activities (e.g. requests for proposals processes).
• Contribute in executing EY’s “go-to-market” client development strategy in Infrastructure Advisory.
• Collaborate with other team members in identifying and exploring potential new business opportunities; contribute to develop and maintain a healthy funnel of opportunities; contribute to expand and grow the practice by providing quality service to clients and by developing relationships.
• Contribute to increase the practice’s visibility in the marketplace by contributing to the preparation of documentation for key industry events, for literature and discussions.
• Contribute to attract, develop and motivate strong talent.
• Espouse and model the firm’s professional values by promoting collaboration and innovation; fostering creativity; and engendering an ethical approach to conducting business.
To qualify for the role you must have:
• Minimum 3 years work experience in providing value added business advisory services (e.g. in relation to business cases, project financing and funding, financial analysis and modeling, risk simulations, procurement, economics, strategy, due diligence, contract management, asset management), ideally for major infrastructure projects over their lifecycle.
• Undergraduate degree (business, finance or engineering); MBA/Master’s degree/CFA/CBV an asset.
• Fluent in French and have, at a minimum, a working level proficiency in English
• Working knowledge of the Canadian and International Finance and Accounting concepts and principles - CPA not required.
• Working knowledge of Canadian debt financing and capital markets and/or of global infrastructure and project financing markets.
• Experience interfacing directly with senior client staff.
• Strong project management skills and ability to structure work.
• Understanding of key business drivers.
• Superior analytical skills and capacity to provide quality deliverables with an attention to details.
• Enthusiastic, energetic attitude and a team player.
• Demonstrate a team oriented, collaborative, respectful, positive, flexible style and a strong work ethic.
• Written and verbal communication/presentation skills in French is an asset.
What we look for
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated, analytical, logical thinkers with a passion for being a strategic advisor in the infrastructure space; and have a very strong attention to detail. This position will also require strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills, superior analytical skills, and proven project and people management skills. Bringing a “roll up the sleeves” attitude with high levels of creativity, enthusiasm and team-work.is critical in this role.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
• Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, strategy, transactions and consulting services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.