Our specialist Capital Allowances (CAs) professionals help our clients to optimise the tax relief available on capital expenditure incurred on property and fixed assets. They do this by combining the dual skills of both tax and surveying. This combination ensures that they not only understand the complex tax legislation, but also the practical aspects of construction, cost management and building technology.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and ambitious individual to join EY’s specialist Capital Allowances team. The team help support and deliver pursuits and projects across all business sectors. This role will provide an opportunity to be involved in a fast growth part of the Business Tax Services team, working across the UK. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work with both clients and all of the EY local offices, providing a great opportunity to build and expand your corporate network.
Our Assistant Tax Advisors are also supported in their professional studies, with a view to earning qualifications with the Association of Taxation Technicians, the Chartered Institute of Taxation or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Key responsibilities of a CAs Assistant Tax Advisor:
Assistant Tax Advisors in our specialist team get involved in a wide range of activities to support the senior team members, and are given responsibility from day one, under the guidance of a Consultant, Manager or Senior Manager, for example:
· Drafting capital allowances proposals and high-level feasibility exercises to determine the potential level of allowances available.
· Reviewing legal documentation (such as sale and purchase, leasehold and contribution agreements) and the tax legislation to clarify a company's entitlement to claim capital allowances.
· Liaising with the client and their advisors to obtain detailed construction cost information.
· Analysing the relevant available documentation and supplement any deficiencies in details utilising our team's quantity surveying skills to arrive at defendable valuations.
· Investigating asset lives and business requirements to assist with decision making of allocating qualifying expenditure to the appropriate capital allowances pool.
· Measurement of technical drawings and floor plans, preparation of reinstatement cost estimates using industry pricing books and comparable data sources.
· Assistance with business rates portfolio reviews and valuations.
· Liaising with the client and their advisors to obtain full details of the energy efficient / environmentally friendly plant and machinery installed to identify assets that could qualify for an accelerated rate of relief.
· Reviewing ground investigation and contamination reports to determine eligibility to claim land remediation relief.
· Analysing whether expenditure incurred on repairs and dilapidations could be eligible for revenue deductions.
· Drafting capital allowances reports detailing the various categories of allowances identified.
· Researching and responding to tax technical queries from the wider tax practice.
· Preparation of technical updates to clients and the wider tax practice following changes to the capital allowances legislation.
· Drafting technical responses to queries raised by HM Revenue & Customs into our clients’ claims.
· Building and maintaining productive working relationship with clients and providing high levels of client service.
Skills and Experience required for the role of Assistant Tax Advisor
· Previous work experience of Capital Allowances is not required.
· Strong technical skills and keen to develop further.
· Sound working knowledge of MS Excel. Additional or advanced technology skills are welcomed.
· Good project management skills, capable of planning and prioritising work whilst meeting all deadlines.
· Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically and willing to proactively suggest ideas.
· Team player; ability to integrate with new teams quickly.
· Outgoing with good relationship skills and the ability to deliver quality output.
· Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral.
· Relationship management skills with ability to manage client expectations.