EQUANS are recruiting for a Managing Quantity Surveyor to be based in London SE16 7DW. This is a permanent full-time role working Monday to Friday. On offer is a competitive salary, company vehicle or allowance, bonus and benefits package.
The main purpose of this role is to take responsibility, ownership and accountability of the successful management and control all aspects of the commercial / financial and contractual elements of all projects within the Division in order to control and maximise the company’s profitability, protect the company’s legal and contractual obligations under the contract and to manage proactively the control of all commercial issues.
This is to include managing all commercial resources on the projects, ensuring applications and valuations are completed in line with the contract terms and also ensuring sub-contractors receive prompt payment and are procured in line with our contractual obligations and Commitments to Subcontractors.
In addition, ensuring cost reports and the like are managed, completed on time and monitored together with overseeing all relevant commercial reporting activity necessary within the division. Management of the income of the Company in the division and increase profits by good surveying practise without compromising Health & Safety on each site.
What will you deliver?
· To manage the commercial teams, and where applicable operation staff as the Senior member of staff in the division or works stream.
· To take overall responsibility and accountability for the commercial elements on a number of contracts (including day to day cost control, monitoring and reporting)
· Manage commercial input and assist the Operations Manager with pre-start details. Attend pre-start meetings with the client as necessary to ensure smooth project set up and full knowledge of the project to manage it through to completion.
· Review contracts for sub-contractors and authorise in line with businesses profit plan and targets according to DLA authorisation level and issue to the accounts team.
· Assist with subcontractor selection and ensure the chosen subcontractor has the appropriate order and information to carry out their work.
· Review and sign-off all QS documentation (i.e. client invoices, commercial reporting, CVRs, etc) and issue for posting to supply chain
· Complete a monthly cost valuation report for designated projects and ensure the team manage receipt of / requests for payment in a timely manner to ensure sufficient cash flow management for the Client and the group, and the supply chain in line with contracts.
· Manage sub-contractor orders, appointments, accounts and variation accounts; measure progress, valuations, final accounts, and retention release ensuring receipt of payment in a timely manner for all designated schemes in line with the main contract and sub-contract data base
· Ensure the company is neither compromised nor disadvantaged by any contractual or financial arrangement, and ensuring both the company and the client is fully advised of all commercial matters at all times and put measures in place to rectify any concerns highlighted
· Manage subcontractor and professional services selection for new schemes, ensure the chosen contractor has the appropriate order and information to carry out their work, and helping to prepare procurement schedules liaising with legal counsel as required regarding contractual information (collateral warranties, PCG’s, etc)
· Manage monthly applications and sub-contractor accounts in line with legal obligations.
· Management of the day to day cost control expenditure, monitoring, and reporting; reconciling cost/value reports and forecasting expenditure using this information to maximisation profit and efficiency
· Manage contractual correspondence in regard to delays, non-conformance, etc
· Sufficiently manage the financial aspects of the project and ensure the correct safety measures / equipment is accounted for and used at all times
· To liaise with all staff, clients, consultants and residents in a professional manner to build client relationships helping future business development
· To liaise with the Estimating team to ensure future opportunities are positively actioned to convert into tangible wins. Where appropriate, assist with estimates and negotiations for future opportunities.
· Review contract tender conditions in parallel with the businesses Legal Counsel and ensure that where discrepancies are identified these are recorded and administered at tender stage
· In conjunction with Divisional Director, prepare monthly accounts/reports and submit for approval by the Finance Director.
· Liaise with the Operational Management teams over contractual issues and take action as required
· Act as commercial champion for the division and attend internal and external service meetings to ensure information is circulated to managers accordingly (i.e. Supply chain Committees etc.) and that commercial impact is considered for all projects
· Time management; to ensure deadlines are met as per monthly reporting timetable.
· Assist in ensuring the Company is in line with Health & Safety procedures, to protect your safety and others around you
· Manage the recruitment of commercial considering type of workstream and skills required
· To manage, coach and develop the team effectively in order to deliver the highest standards of service and maximise individual/team potential (including PDRs, disciplinaries, absence reviews, etc)
· Any other reasonable management request.
What can we offer you?
On offer is a competitive salary, car or car allowance, bonus and benefits package, which includes;
· Pension Scheme
· 25 days annual leave (+ public holidays)
· Life Cover equivalent to x3 times annual salary
· 24/7 Employee Assistance Program and access to mental wellbeing app
· Employee discount shopping schemes on major brands and retailers
· Gym membership discounts
· Cycle to work scheme
· Broad range of learning opportunities, such as professional qualifications, collective/individual training, and personalized support programmes
Who are we looking for?
Skills / Knowledge / Experience
· 3 years + experience within a senior surveying position reporting to either a commercial manager or director.
· Relevant experience in new build or regeneration
· Experience managing multiple employees
· A proven track record of managing multiple high value projects
· Understanding of the construction industry
· Experience working with local councils
· Excellent verbal communication skills
· Good level of numeracy
· Good influencing skills
· IT skills – MS Office, Excel, Project, Word etc
Education / Qualifications
· Degree in Quantity Surveying
· RICS accredited for New Build Projects
· Master’s degree in quantity surveying
Who are we?
EQUANS is a market leader in the sector with 74,000 employees leveraging 200 years of expertise. With revenues of €12 billion, EQUANS is present in 17 countries - mostly across Europe, but also with significant interests in North America, Latin America and Australia.
In the UK, & Ireland, all of ENGIE’s activity in technical services & facilities management, energy efficiency and regeneration are now part of EQUANS. The new entity also includes specialist energy related capabilities: smart buildings, green mobility, district & embedded energy and decentralised renewables.
EQUANS is an autonomous business within ENGIE Group – with its own dedicated management team and operating structure to help further accelerate growth and service performance.
EQUANS supports its customers by mobilising its expertise to provide low-carbon energy solutions, offer cutting-edge technical and FM services and transformative regeneration in the UK & Ireland. From homes to cities, hospitals to the heart of government, offices to industry.
EQUANS empowers transitions both for today and tomorrow.
If this role is of interest to you, please click below to register, apply and track your progress! A member of our Resourcing Team will review your application and be in touch.
For more information about EQUANS, please visit:
For this role, you must have evidence of the right to work in the UK. There is no re-location package with this job role. EQUANS do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community. Certain roles may require applicants to undergo a Disclosure check, as noted in the role requirements.
The EQUANS Resourcing Team supports this job advert. Agency involvement is not required. All related enquiries must come to the resourcing team not direct to EQUANS Managers.
· Additional Locations: Europe-England
· Posting Date: Jun 17, 2022