EQUANS are recruiting for a Maintenance Assistant in a Fabric Engineering background to be based in Birmingham. This is a permanent full-time role working for Birmingham Schools. On offer is a competitive salary and benefits package.
Reports directly to the Hard FM Manager/Engineers Supervisor
The position plays a critical part in the Maintenance Team, the candidate will undertake a variety of planned and reactive maintenance tasks in a school & healthcare environment.
Able to work as part of a team or on your own initiative, you will be expected to provide a flexible and efficient repair and maintenance service over a wide range of services. The Maintenance Assistant carries out duties, which encompasses semi-skilled engineering work. The Maintenance Assistant shall carry out day to day and planned preventative maintenance duties as well as assisting craftsmen of all disciplines when required. The following duties may arise; maintenance and improvement of plant, equipment or buildings. These duties may from time to time involve working conditions as normally encountered in a school & healthcare building.
Duties & Responsibilities
· To follow the company procedures and standards as expressed in the Company Handbook
· To complete all administrative functions correctly and efficiently, either paper log-books or by using appropriate IT software, e.g. Movilizer PDA
· To become fully familiar with all Company and site procedures and carry out all responsibilities detailed in Equans management system.
· The following responsibilities outlined are not intended to be exhaustive and specific duties will be defined based on the skillset of the individual recruited and the wider maintenance team
· To undertake work in a safe and effective manner complying with all relevant safety legislation and procedures and complying with the Estates Department Health & Safety Procedures manual on all works undertaken.
· To undertake a multi-skilled approach to a wide range of unsupervised routine and non-routine maintenance and minor repair work ,
· Must be willing to carry a smartphone to facilitate response to faults which will be automated from the helpdesk.
· To be able to carry out a risk assessment of each job situation with regards to providing a safe environment for the job.
· To undertake training to enhance multi-skilled techniques, to keep abreast of new technology and legislation. and to comply with Equans requirements for core training. To attend training courses provided by the organisation and complete mandatory training as required
· To participate in a locally agreed On Call Rota to cover out of hours emergency works.
· Ensure that all tasks are carried out in compliance with relevant statutory legislation and local policies and codes of practice including Health and Safety, COSHH and in particular by following agreed safe working procedures, and reporting incidents using the AIMS system
· To undertake general maintenance duties
· To undertake water management duties as directed by the RP and Hard FM Manager
· Maintain the general tidiness of all compounds, workshops, plant rooms and service ducts
· Assist in the clearing of blocked drains
Carry out all duties in compliance within statutory and SFG guidance:
· Within a maintenance environment the post holder will occasionally be expected to carry out any reasonable request for which they have received training and is considered competent.
· Assist in any other activity where a competent person is in attendance.
· Understand the principles of H&S management procedures.
· The Post holder may be required to carry various communication devices and use them in a way determined by the Facilities Manager.
· This list is not intended to be exhaustive and the post holder will be expected to carry out any additional reasonable management request
What can we offer you?
On offer is a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes;
· Pension Scheme
· 24 days annual leave (+ public holidays)
· Life Cover equivalent to 1 times annual salary
· 24/7 Employee Assistance Program and access to mental wellbeing app
· Employee discount shopping schemes on major brands and retailers
· Gym membership discounts
· Cycle to work scheme
· Broad range of learning opportunities, such as professional qualifications, collective/individual training, and personalized support programmes
Who are we?
EQUANS is a market leader in the sector with 74,000 employees leveraging 200 years of expertise. With revenues of €12 billion, EQUANS is present in 17 countries - mostly across Europe, but also with significant interests in North America, Latin America and Australia.
In the UK, & Ireland, all of ENGIE’s activity in technical services & facilities management, energy efficiency and regeneration are now part of EQUANS. The new entity also includes specialist energy related capabilities: smart buildings, green mobility, district & embedded energy and decentralised renewables.
EQUANS is an autonomous business within ENGIE Group – with its own dedicated management team and operating structure to help further accelerate growth and service performance.
EQUANS supports its customers by mobilising its expertise to provide low-carbon energy solutions, offer cutting-edge technical and FM services and transformative regeneration in the UK & Ireland. From homes to cities, hospitals to the heart of government, offices to industry.
EQUANS empowers transitions both for today and tomorrow.
If this role is of interest to you, please click below to register, apply and track your progress! A member of our Resourcing Team will review your application and be in touch.
For more information about EQUANS, please visit:
For this role, you must have evidence of the right to work in the UK. There is no re-location package with this job role. EQUANS do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community. Certain roles may require applicants to undergo a Disclosure check, as noted in the role requirements.
The EQUANS Resourcing Team supports this job advert. Agency involvement is not required. All related enquiries must come to the resourcing team not direct to EQUANS Managers.
· Posting Date: Jul 7, 2022