The Algorithm/Optimization Intern will assist in the development and testing of algorithms aimed at the operations of In Front Of the Meter Battery Energy Storage Systems. Key parts in these algorithms include forecasting of wholesale electricity prices, forecasting of solar production, optimization across wholesale market revenue streams and modeling of the BESS, the local solar generation and interconnection constraints.
What you’ll do:
· Write optimization models using OPL and CPLEX to compute dispatch schedules of energy storage system
· Understand business case in order to design new features of the existing optimization model
· Test new features using unit tests and simulation framework in python
· Run existing test vectors to perform regression testing
· Assist in designing, developing and deploying team’s core algorithms for Energy Storage Systems applications such as time series forecasting using machine learning or MILP optimization models
· Do literature review to propose new state of the art optimization algorithms relevant to ESS applications
What you bring:
· MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Statistics, or equivalent fields
· Recent completion of advanced degree in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or related field
· Fluency in at least one programming or scripting language (Python, Java, C, C++, etc)
· Expertise in Linear Programming and Mixed Integer Programming (LP/MIP)
· Good experience mathematical programming software solvers such as CPLEX, Gurobi, Xpress etc.)
· Knowledge in Optimization Modeling Languages/development platforms such as OPL, AMPL, GAMS etc
· Experience with stochastic modeling, particularly their application on utilities and energy problems is a plus
· Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
· A portfolio of projects (GitHub, papers, etc.) is a plus
· Working knowledge of statistics and machine learning algorithms is a plus
· Smart, motivated, can do attitude and seeks to make a difference
· Familiarity with Software Change, Configuration Management and Build Processes in a complex environment
ENGIE North America isn’t just participating in the Zero-Carbon transition, we’re leading it! Join us as we develop energy that is more renewable, more efficient and more accessible to everyone.
Unite with us in leading the transformation of the world of energy! ENGIE is looking for talented and motivated individuals to create the future of energy and customer solutions. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity to help customers meet their energy challenges today and in the future. Are you up for the challenge?
At ENGIE, our goal is to support, encourage, promote, and thrive on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do so for the benefit of our employees, customers, products and services, and community. So ENGIE is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and is also an affirmative action employer. We are firmly committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees.
We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at ENGIE are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. ENGIE is committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, civil union, or domestic partnership status, military service or veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition, genetic information, or any other legally protected category (referred to as “protected characteristics”) as defined by applicable federal, state or local law in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance with this application or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at ENGIENA-ENGIEHR@engie.com . Please note: This email address is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance, and is not a means of inquiry regarding positions or application status.
· Posting Date: Apr 6, 2021