Software Engineer I
CGI Federal has a career opportunity for a talented Software Engineer in Aberdeen, MD to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander’s guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander’s guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government’s objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army’s Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
Your future duties and responsibilities
• Design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug mission critical software source code using modern software development languages and tools, such as java
• Work independently as a contributing member of Agile Sprint Team
• Use Jira, Confluence, Nexus, Stash-Git/Subversion development operations, collaboration and source control tools
• Support creation and updating of all relevant documentation and specifications for design, development and testing
• Identify potential roadblocks and develop around them
• Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics
• Develop maintainable code that matches specifications
• Participate in Design Reviews, Sprint Planning, estimating, Release Planning, demonstrations and retrospectives
• Perform unit testing of code, including manipulation of data for analysis of system requirements
• Other duties as required
Required qualifications to be successful in this role
• BS degree in related technical field and 4-8 years prior relevant experience OR Master’s degree with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience
• Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD SECRET security clearance
• Due to the nature of this government contract, US Citizenship is required
• Agile Software development experience
• Experience with Defense Intelligence Information Enterprise (DI2E) development tools, such as Jira, Confluence, Nexus, and Stash-Git/Subversion
• Experience in Java/J2EE technologies
• Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and SOAP based web service technologies, including WSDL, JAX-WS, JAX-RPC, XML, XSD, and XSLT.
• Experience with Objected Oriented Analysis, Design and Programming
• Experience designing and building web services, including REST-based services
• Experience developing applications using network sockets
• Experience serializing data structures using JSON or SML for communication with web clients
• Experience using pub/sub message queues, such as 0MQ
• Able to multi-task, self-assign work, and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Good verbal and written skills
• Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint)
• Ability to successfully complete the CGI Background Investigation to include; 50 State Criminal, Education and Employment; Additionally, your ability to successfully complete a Credit and/or Driving Records Checks may be conducted if required by the contract for continued employment.
• Possession of an INTERIM SECRET security clearance is required to begin employment; Ability to maintain a SECRET security clearance is required for continued employment; US Citizenship is required.
• Experience with automated unit test and test driven development concepts, tools, and languages
• Experience in User Interface development technologies, such as HTML5, NodeJS, AngularJS, etc
• Web Client end user devices, Smart Clients and Andriod applications
• Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE) or other PM MC systems
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com .
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned .
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI’s legal duty to furnish information.