Job order - J0821-0506 - Permanent Full Time
Software Development/ Engineering
Manchester, England - North West, United Kingdom
If your programming skills are matched by an enthusiasm for problem-solving, and your communication skills are as creative as your coding, there’s a digital revolution underway in the UK that could use your help.
Our Financial Services business unit is looking to add talented Data Engineers with strong Scala programming skills to work on a programme of work with one of our key Investment Banking clients.
From public service transformation to cutting-edge commercial projects, our work has a wide reach, helping make the everyday easier, for everyone. When you start your CGI story, not only will you be improving people’s lives, you can be sure we’ll do the same for you.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer you access to our share scheme (3% + 3% matching) making you a member not just an employee. You also have the option to benefit from private medical and dental insurance, flexible retirement options, childcare vouchers and a cycle to work scheme.
As for the future? Be a successful part of our story and we’ll support you in taking your career anywhere you want it to go.
Your future duties and responsibilities
You will be joining a team striving for the highest quality architecture, design and code to develop an extremely challenging big data solution in Banking. You will help to build the bank’s surveillance systems, working in a fast-paced, agile environment. Your workload for new deliveries will be high. The team uses, Scala/Spark for services, Hadoop Big Data and SQL for data analysis in an agile setup working with global distributed teams. If successful, senior data engineers will play a key role in developing our advanced analytics practice working on some of the most exciting data analytics projects in the market.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role
Senior Software Engineering skills in Scala is essential
• Experience working with very large datasets using Spark is essential. Other Big Data technologies such as Impala and Hive are also desirable.
• A good understanding of Hadoop functioning & infrastructure is desirable
• Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
• Experience with workflow/orchestration tools (e.g. Oozie, Control-m, UWQ)
• Excellent technical leadership, teamwork and communication skills, and working with local and remote teams. A can do attitude is essential to succeed in this role.
• Desire to write robust, maintainable & re-usable code
• Practical experience of TDD and constant refactoring in continuous integration environment.
• Practical experience of delivering good quality code within enterprise scale development (CI/CD)
• Experience or working with an Agile environment
Other desirable skills and experience:
• Experience in other programming languages, specifically Python would be helpful but not essential
• Experience with Machine Learning Big Data technologies
• Working understanding of Cloud deployment & migration
• BDD, particularly experience of how it can be used to define requirements in a collaborative manner, ensure that the team builds the right thing and create a system of living documentation
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.