Founded in 1856, Burberry today remains quintessentially British, with outerwear at its core. Digital luxury positioning and intensive focus on design innovation, quality and heritage icons ensure continued brand purity and relevance globally across genders and generations. Burberry believes that in order to be a great brand it must also be a great company and constantly leverages the energy of its compassionate and creative thinking culture to continually innovate and drive the brand forward. Headquartered in London, Burberry is a design, marketing and retail led business with a global reputation for innovative product design, digital marketing initiatives and dynamic retail strategies.
Are you interested in Production Operations in the luxury fashion industry? You could be a Production Operative Apprentice at the Burberry Mill.
Burberry manufactures its Heritage trench coats and iconic fabrics at its two Internal Manufacturing sites located in the North of England; in Castleford, and near Keighley in Yorkshire, respectively.
Manufacturing a variety of fabrics using traditional weaving techniques coupled with state of the art equipment, Burberry Mill focuses on producing and developing the gabardine fabric and check lining used to make Burberry’s iconic Heritage trench coats. Roles at the site also extend to administration, warehousing, packaging and dispatching, as well as product development exclusively for Burberry. The site at Keighley employs approximately 75 people working a three-shift system.
As a Production Operative, you will support the Planning & Production managers in the execution of the production plan and be ready to adapt, change and offer technical advice and labour of all areas.
As part of the apprenticeship programme, you will have the opportunity to access a unique learning environment, which will include being a part of a Post-Programme network. You will receive on-going support and development that will provide you with the skills and knowledge required for a successful career within Manufacturing and any other type of production role.
· In this role as a Production Operative Apprentice, you’ll get the chance to complete a programme of training within different areas of Burberry Mill’s functions, such as Planning, Preparation (processes called Drawing in and Warping), Weaving, and Inspection areas
· During the programme you’ll gain key technical textile skills such as learning the Draft Plan, Peg Plan, Weft insertion plan and fabric patterns.
· You’ll learn to become proficient in the handling of textile yarns, and understand the different yarn types, their construction and constitution.
· You’ll learn to tie different knots, use automatic knotting machines, draw ends through dropper, healds and reed, inspection and fabric mending.
· Lean Awareness: You’ll learn about manufacturing techniques such as ‘Lean Six-Sigma’, which are focused on carrying out activities as effectively and efficiently as possible.
· Carrying out tasks and duties as directed by the Weaving Manager and Team Leader to contribute to the efficient operation of the Weaving shed
· To learn to work in a safe manner, undertake courses on manual handling, safe systems at work and understand the risk assessments of working in a textile production environment
· No experience required as full training will be given, previous experience in the sector would be beneficial
· You should be highly organised, flexible, have excellent communication skills and attention to detail
· Confidant with IT
· You will be an enthusiastic individual keen to learn and progress, with a curious and proactive nature
· GCSE English and maths at grade C plus or equivalent is preferred but not essential
To apply for this position, please email your CV to . Closing date for all applications will be 10th August 2018.
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || Keighley || Supply Chain || Internal Manufacturing || n/a ||
Job Segment: Apprentice, Lean Six Sigma, Inspector, Supply, Supply Chain, Entry Level, Management, Quality, Operations