Founded in 1856, Burberry today remains quintessentially British, with outerwear at its core. Digital luxury positioning and intensive focus on design innovation, quality and heritage icons ensure continued brand purity and relevance globally across genders and generations. Burberry believes that in order to be a great brand it must also be a great company and constantly leverages the energy of its compassionate and creative thinking culture to continually innovate and drive the brand forward. Headquartered in London, Burberry is a design, marketing and retail led business with a global reputation for innovative product design, digital marketing initiatives and dynamic retail strategies.
Burberry, a global multi-billion-pound luxury fashion business, is seeking to hire an Accountant within a new Burberry Business Services organisation based in Leeds, United Kingdom.
Accountant is responsible for execution of specified Record to Report (“RTR”) Opex team tasks within the Finance function in the BBS in accordance with agreed service level agreements and key performance indicators.
The major objectives of this role are:
· Accurate and timely month-end and periodic reporting, including submissions to Group Finance and Business Partners
· Ensure all compliance and regulatory requirements are met
· Ensure general accounting is accurate and complies with Group accounting policies and local requirements
· Prepare and deliver specific audit requirements (both internal and external)
· Deliver management and statutory reporting requirements
· Prepare statutory accounts for the assigned entities
· Continuous improvement of processes and controls
· Preparation and execution of Opex transactions, specifically relating to Supply Chain
· Reconciliation of Opex balances
· Preparation of Opex reports
· Month end processes:
· Journal preparation and execution
· Agreement of intercompany positions
· Preparation and submission of Opex reports
· Reconciliation and confirmation of specific balance sheet accounts including sub-ledger accounts
· Completion of half year and year end additional financial information
· Preparation of analyses and support for internal and external audit requirements, liaising with the auditors and colleagues across the business as required
· Responding to a significant number of ad hoc queries, and analysis as required, prioritising work effectively to ensure that these queries are responded to on a timely basis
· Reviewing the work of Junior Accountants
· Ensuring compliance with the Group Policies, including operating of internal controls over financial reporting
· Participation in migration of accounting processes to BBS and support migration of other functions (e.g. PTP, OTC, Procurement, Customer Services, HR).
· Role may require work on some weekend/public holidays during half year and year end periods.
· Apply understanding of assigned accounting processes to identify gaps and propose continuous improvement measures
· Work closely with the process owners, colleagues and managers to understand root causes and represent process procedures, practicalities and exceptions
· Proactively seeks feedback from fellow team members and other internal and external customers, and uses this to inform future delivery of services.
Qualification & Experience
· Experience in Supply Chain Finance working with Cost Centres is highly preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field is required.
· Professional accounting qualification is required e.g. ACA, CA, ACCA or CIMA.
· SAP training and certification is a plus.
· Relevant accounting experience.
· Experience in operating expenses accounting is required.
· Fashion retail industry experience preferred.
· Strong technical background with experience in a FTSE company applying IFRS is required.
· Worked within a multicurrency environment, analysing and understanding the impact of movements in exchange rates in all areas of income statement.
· Experience of BPC, and advanced excel skills, an advantage.
· Must be able to fully grasp the broader issues and provide functional guidance to those reporting to them, rather than rely on their own technical skill set.
· Requires good understanding of IT systems and processes.
· Can provide examples of getting the best out of people, including during demanding and unsettling periods of change.
· Has track record and appetite for delivering continuous improvement. Able to generate commitment to change amongst own team.
· Can provide evidence of working collaboratively with peers.
· Ability to build strong relationships, both with the wider Finance team and throughout the BBS.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Observes corporate policies and business values.
· Thinks conceptually and identifies and addresses future challenges and opportunities, often in an ambiguous environment.
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || Leeds || Finance || Record to Report || n/a ||
Job Segment: Supply Chain, Supply, Accounting, ERP, Law, Operations, Finance, Technology, Legal