Founded in 1856, Burberry today remains quintessentially British, with outerwear at its core. Digital luxury positioning and intensive focus on design innovation, quality and heritage icons ensure continued brand purity and relevance globally across genders and generations. Burberry believes that in order to be a great brand it must also be a great company and constantly leverages the energy of its compassionate and creative thinking culture to continually innovate and drive the brand forward. Headquartered in London, Burberry is a design, marketing and retail led business with a global reputation for innovative product design, digital marketing initiatives and dynamic retail strategies.
Burberry plc, a global multi-billion-pound luxury fashion business, is seeking to hire a Lease Accountant within a new Burberry Business Services organisation based in Leeds, United Kingdom.
The role is responsible for delivering accurate and timely accounting and reporting for property leases and associated costs for the in-scope territories in accordance with the Group Policies, IFRS and local GAAP requirements. In addition to relevant technical accounting expertise, this position requires the ability to work collaboratively with a variety of finance and non-finance colleagues.
· Ensures property lease accounting for the in-scope entities (UK, Europe, Russia, Middle East) is accurate, and that compliance with Group accounting policies and local requirements is achieved
· In scope activities include accounting and reconciliations of property and associated property costs accruals and prepayments
· Provides accurate and timely month-end and periodic management reporting, including submissions to Group Finance and Business Partners
· Prepares and delivers specific audit requirements (both internal and external)
· Responds to ad hoc queries, and analysis as required, prioritising work effectively to ensure that these queries are responded to on a timely basis
· Ensures operating effectiveness of internal controls
· Working with PTP/OTC and the wider RTR team to deal with queries and improve processes
· Role may require work on some weekend/public holidays during half year and year end periods.
· Apply understanding of assigned accounting processes to identify gaps and propose continuous improvement measures
· Work closely with the process owners, colleagues and managers to understand root causes and represent process procedures, practicalities and exceptions
Proactively seeks feedback from fellow team members and other internal and external customers, and uses this to inform future delivery of services.
· 3-5 years of relevant accounting experience. Experience in application of IFRS/UK GAAP is required. SAP and retail or FMCG industry experience preferred. Experience of BPC, an advantage. Accounting role within a large, listed, multinational company is a plus. Worked within a multicurrency environment; understanding the impact of movements in exchange rates on reported results is a plus.
· Experience working in an accounting team in a Shared Service environment is a plus.
· Excellent technical skills including solid understanding and awareness of IFRS16
· Has track record and appetite for delivering continuous improvement. Able to generate commitment to change amongst own team.
· Must be able to fully grasp the broader issues and provide functional guidance to those reporting to them, rather than rely on their own technical skill set. Requires good understanding of IT systems and processes.
· Can provide evidence of working collaboratively with peers.
· Advanced Excel skills with experience of building and working with complex models and large data sets
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field is preferred.
· Professional accounting qualification/almost qualified status is essential i.e. ACA, ACCA, CIMA or similar
· SAP training and certification is a plus
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || Leeds || Finance || Record to Report || n/a ||
Job Segment: Accounting, ERP, SAP, Technology, Finance