Function: Legal & External Affairs
Level: Experienced Professional
Appointment Type: Permanent
Do you want to join one of the leading vaping and tobacco company within BeLux and be part of a new, innovative and fast-growing area of ‘Potentially Reduced Risk Products’? Do you want to be part of a great working culture and a Top Employer? If you want to challenge yourself and work in an international and dynamic environment, then read on...
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Potentially Reduced Risk Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapor and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, Glo and Voke. Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans. Join us in our journey to transform tobacco!
We are currently looking for a LEX Officer to join our team. He/she will report to the Government Affairs Manager BELUX and WEA Head of LEX.
This role will be performed in the context BAT Western Europe Area, with end markets Belgium & Luxembourg, France and the UK & Ireland.
Role & Responsibilities:
· Monitor and support influencing the regulatory context of the company to the benefit of its clients, employees and shareholders and industry in general, in strict adherence to the company’s governance rules.
· Define strategic priorities in conjunction with the Government Affairs Manager BELUX and WEA Head of LEX and in close collaboration with internal clients (sales, marketing, legal and communication) and colleagues in Europe.
· Obtain approval on and execute tactical and timed plans to achieve goals set. Implement these plans and report on the achievements.
· Build and sustain a strong, trusted relationship and solid reputation with external stakeholders: industry associations and the retail industry and a vast network within government and regulating bodies. Represent our client in local industry/trade/business associations and play an active and leading role in their activities.
· Building and sustaining a relevant media network and deliver the corporate communication agenda in support of the BELUX regulatory affairs agenda.
· Support the LEX WEA area team with above market initiatives (e.g. organize quarterly LEX WEA TP, manage shared folder drive,…)
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• University Degree or similar level gained through experience
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in a senior role in government affairs or political decision making
• Sound understanding of both business and politics at both strategic and tactical level.
• Demonstrate a good understanding of how (social) media works and be able to build up a network of media stakeholders
• Needs to be able to manage the creation and execution of strategies related to complex regulatory, product, excise and responsibility issues in politically charged environment
• The ability to balance contradictory interests and find win-win solutions in adversary environment is key.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Drive and stress-resistance.
• Ability to lead and coordinate projects and activities in a complex environment.
• English skills at least BAT level 4; Excellent Dutch, French and English language skills
• Occasional travelling will be required (e.g. Paris).
British American Tobacco is one of the world’s leading multinational companies, with brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries.
We are proud that we are consistently among the top 5 companies on the London Stock Exchange.
Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans – along with many other leading international brands, such as Vogue, Peter Stuyvesant and State Express 555.
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are also developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Next Generation Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapour and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, glo and Voke.
Contractual Legal Entity: BAT Belgium NV (BE10)