The Fund Accounting team is a customer focused team; they support the business and client activities of the Operations division of BNP Paribas Securities Services. The team has extensive interaction and dealings with various managers and all teams within the Operations division as well as other internal BNP Paribas Securities Services teams such as the Risk Function and Relationship Management teams.
The team has weekly, monthly and quarterly client reporting deliverables. The Fund Accounting team is responsible for collating and compiling accounting and reporting information for clients from a variety of systems (predominantly HiPort) and divisions within BNP Paribas. This includes information from the Custody and Registry teams. This involves reviewing reports prepared by our team offshore and ensuring that all data is reconciled to the investment system, registry, clients and other external sources. An understanding of the Portfolio Investment Entities (PIE) regime is an advantage.
In order to continue to add value to our clients the Fund accounting team must demonstrate an understanding of technical fund accounting practices with an emphasis on NZ specific requirements, trends, and initiatives.
In addition to this, the team is responsible for the maintenance of the general ledger system and as a result is involved in all major projects and development in the business. The team works with other operational teams to resolve queries and provide advice on accounting and general ledger related queries. The Fund Accountant is responsible for the preparation and review of daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and year end deliverables for our clients. They prepare and produce accurate and quality reporting in line with SLA targets. Communication is always proactive whenever possible, with each team member taking personal responsibility for managing prosperous relationships with their client contacts.
The Fund Accountant has some knowledge of Fund Accounting, Unit Pricing, Investment Administration and reconciliations. They understand the importance of accuracy in reporting. Time management and the ability to operate effectively within critical time constraints in the area are important.
Working with various teams and individuals in the Operations division, the Fund Accountant is enlisted with providing excellent client support and service; they deal in a proactive and effective manner with clients, in particular overseeing or investigating and resolving client issues and ad hoc queries, on a timely basis and escalating where necessary.
· Coordinate with internal and external customers as necessary
· Communicate effectively
· Assure that the team addresses all relevant issues within the specifications and various standards
· Escalate issues which cannot be resolved by the themselves
· Drive and own self-development and learning
· Provide support to the team based on management direction
· Client reporting and reconciliations
· Resolution of client issues and ad hoc queries
· Resolution of accounting & general ledger queries from the business and clients
· Assisting with related systems, process or internal change initiatives and process improvements
· Building and sustaining client relationships by supporting the efforts of the Account Managers, Client Service Managers and the broader team
· Ongoing knowledge development and industry knowledge
· Actively participate in regular meeting times, 1-on-1’s and group discussions
Technical and behavioral competencies
· Key System Experience
· HiPortfolio (or other Investment System experience)
· Experience with General Ledger and investment packages/ systems
· Microsoft packages
· Reconciliation systems
· Unit Pricing System (HiPortfolio, PControl or other similar UP systems)
· Excellent Excel skills (with macro level) essential
· Microsoft Outlook (or similar mail applications)
· Accountability - Committed to achieving the organisation’s objectives. Demonstrates perseverance and is accountable for own actions.
· Change management - Displays flexibility to change and is open to new ideas. Encourages others to be open to innovation. Values feedback and gives people scope and confidence to generate ideas.
· Client Focus - Complete commitment to provide professional, intelligent and timely responses to our clients’ needs and to changes in the market (both Internal and External Client)
· Collaborative approach - Supports and shows respect for others. Puts people first, and works effectively with individuals, teams and clients.
· Impact & influence - Creates a positive and professional impact on others. Uses effective strategies to win others over. Exhibits persuasive representation of team and business objectives.
· Individual Leadership - Uses an appropriate interpersonal style to inspire and guide colleagues towards goal achievement. Adjusts behaviour to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals.
· Attention to detail - Ensures accuracy and implements processes to ensure quality of output. Ensures high personal standards in all areas of work.
· Planning & Execution - Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages own time and resources to meet deadlines and quality standards.
Qualification / experience
· Tertiary Qualification in Business or Finance preferable
· Other Post Graduate or Industry qualifications welcome but not essential
· Proven experience (at least 2+ years) in the finance or investment industry.
· Good knowledge of the Funds Industry and Operations, Fund Accounting, Reporting and Custody.
· Good product knowledge in domestic and international securities and funds management.
· Good theoretical and practical knowledge of investment products including Unit Trusts, Gross Income Funds and Superannuation Schemes.
· Experience with general ledger and investment management systems
· Knowledge of compliance and operational risk requirements in the industry
· Demonstrated history of being results focused and excellent attention to detail
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written