The Energy, Natural Resources, Project and Export (‘ENRPE’) division within Investment Banking Asia Pacific is responsible for coverage and provision of various banking services to companies, funds, traders and project companies in the metals & mining, energy, natural resources and infrastructure sectors.
The primary responsibility of the role is to assist the ENRPE team with analytical and reporting assistance in the context of growing a sustainable and profitable business franchise in the Metals & Mining sector within the region.
The Metals & Mining analyst, in collaboration with its direct report(s) and the ENRPE team, will be responsible for:
· Due Diligence (Undertake regular industry research on behalf of the ENRPE team);
· Financial and Credit risk assessment on new and existing client files.
· Portfolio-wide management, prudential monitoring and timely reporting including new credit proposals, periodic waiver and amendment requests, client annual reviews (required to be undertaken both in written submissions and with financial modelling);
· Compliance of ENRPE portfolio in accordance with internal policies and guidelines;
· Prepare, read and manipulate financial models for existing clients, upcoming opportunities or transactions; and
· Budget analysis, modelling and reporting including wider responsibilities in regards to ad-hoc group reporting as necessary.
· Assistance with marketing and deal origination for lending and advisory mandates;
· Assistance with due diligence on new and existing client files as required including assistance with execution responsibilities where directed;
· Undertake regular industry research on behalf of the ENRPE team; and
· Some exposure to clients (together with the relevant Director or Vice President) through ongoing management of client portfolio and potentially in respect of marketing opportunities.
Performance shall be established by way of agreed objectives and assessed by following criteria:
· Responsiveness and timely completion of reports, scopes and other written output required of the role;
· Quality and depth of analysis and demonstration of clarity of thought;
· Decisiveness and a willingness to make recommendations, and ability to justify these recommendations;
· Ability to identify, analyse and communicate upon key risks and available mitigants for the bank;
· Initiative, innovation and contribution of ideas in a pro-active manner;
· Ability to meaningfully contribute to and work within a team environment; and
· Ability to engender trust with clients, colleagues, management and BNPP’s internal stakeholders including risk, credit, legal and compliance departments and product partners through consistent demonstration of transparency, professionalism and clear and appropriate communication.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
· Conduct – Operates at all time with high ethical standards.
· Attention to detail - Ensures accuracy and implements processes to ensure quality of output.
· Professionalism - Ensures high personal standards in all areas of work;
· Commercial Focus - Demonstrates awareness of the wider business market and the need to drive actions that lead to profitability. Understands how their contribution to business objectives can impact on profitability;
· Communication and Presentation
· Oral: Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Adjusting communication style to match the needs of the audience.
· Written: Expressing ideas clearly in all written documents. Using professional, appropriate language at all times, and adhering to the use of the BNPP Email Protocols.
· Financial decision making - Undertakes actions requiring the analysis of financial information. Develops alternative courses of action or recommendations that are based on logical assumptions and factual information;
· Planning & Execution - Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages own time and resources to meet deadlines and quality standards;
· Strong numerical and quantitative analysis skills - Understands and evaluates numerical data, tables, charts or graphs. Performs calculations, makes comparisons and combines quantitative information to present reasoned conclusions;
· Resilience - Continues to work effectively and pursue goals when faced with obstacles, periods of change and uncertainty, or resistance from others. Maintains effectiveness in uncertain or ambiguous situations;
· Team Orientation - Works with the team and the broader organisation towards shared goals and treats all colleagues and clients as partners and with respect at all times; and
· Technical/professional knowledge - Demonstrates a satisfactory level of technical and professional skills/knowledge in job related areas. Keeps abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
Specific Qualifications Required
· Tertiary degree qualified in finance, , commerce, geology and/or mining engineering;
· Post graduate business qualification (eg MBA, M. App. Fin.) desirable; and
· Previous experience within the mining sector desirable.