Bishopstrow College - Residential Boarding Tutor
We are looking for committed and enthusiastic recent graduates and students currently seeking a work placement to join our boarding team, starting between now and September 2017 for a term or a year. The role suits anyone considering a career in education, sport or leisure. We are looking for candidates who can offer experience or expertise in sports, the arts/drama, children’s pastoral care, etc. The role offers a rich insight into life at a boarding school & opportunities to develop and learn pastoral skills, and give first hand experience of working with children.
Opportunities exist for those wishing to prepare for PGCE entry to gain experience assisting in the classroom under the direction of a teacher.
Bishopstrow College is a co-educational, year-round boarding college preparing young international students for entry to UK boarding schools. With up to 80 boarders from a wide range of countries, no single language group predominates. The academic year is divided into 4 terms and courses are run for three age groups: 7-11 years, 12-13 years and 14-17 years. Students stay for between one and four terms as it is always the aim to move them on to their preferred schools as quickly as possible.
Pastoral responsibilities include:
• Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students
• Supervising and ensuring the smooth running of day to day boarding and pastoral routines, e.g. wake up & bedtime routines, supervising meals, prep and free time
• Administrative duties associated with pastoral and boarding care e.g. reports to parents, registration of students
Sports responsibilities might include:
• Daily sports coaching in small classes of well motivated students e.g. cricket, basketball, football, hockey, netball, rugby etc.
• Preparing and planning sports lessons
• Ensuring the health & safety of students during sports lessons
• Facilitating and encouraging a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to fulfil their individual potential
• Monitoring and supporting the overall progress and development of students
Activities responsibilities include:
• Organizing and running the extra-curricular activities programme by leading group games, arts and crafts; introducing and enabling students to access new skills
• Accompanying excursions and leading weekend activities
Accommodation and all meals are provided during term time. Ideally the candidate should hold a full UK driving licence.
5 days and 2 consecutive days off per week
Salary: £12K for a 4 term year (44 weeks) plus an end of contract £1,000 payment as long as the contract has been fulfilled.
Closing Date: Applications taken until all vacancies are filled.