TDL Systems Engineer
Do you want to help develop and support the Tactical Datalink (TDL) systems that allow our armed forces to work together? Want to be part of a dynamic team supporting products around the world?
As a Systems Engineer in our TDL product area you will report to the Lead Engineer and Product Design Authority, and will be responsible to estimate and plan development activities, design technical solutions, implement or procure hardware and software, and test the resulting systems. You will also be required to help in diagnosing and solving customer reported issues with in-service equipment.
This role will provide you with the scope to develop and enhance your skills and knowledge and you'll be given the opportunity to become a leader in a global business.
Your main responsibilities as a TDL Systems Engineer will involve:
· Ownership of requirements, design and implementation, system integration and test, within schedule and estimates
· Adherence to systems engineering practices
· Reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
· Production of appropriate technical documentation
· Design of technical solutions, integrating COTS hardware and software
· Planning and Estimating development activities
· Management of technical risk
· Working with customers to support delivered systems and resolve issues
As part of the engineering team you will work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities. You may also be asked to lead teams.
Your skills and qualifications as a TDL Systems Engineer:
· Systems Engineering for hardware and software systems
· Using and installing operating systems and application software
· Physical and Electrical Safety, Security and Environmental compliance
· Electrical engineering disciplines e.g. BS7671 qualified would be desirable
· Communications technologies: IP networking (including design), VOIP, network security, network management
· Designing equipment to meet environmental requirements ( EMC and CE marking, Environmental etc)
· Product Safety Processes
· Export control and ITAR rules
What we're looking for in you:
· A 'can do' attitude; deliver within agreed budgets and timescales
· Self-organisation and good time management
· You are innovative and able to drive improvement
· You take responsibility for own & team work packages and for delivery
· Experience of mentoring more junior staff and leading teams is desirable
· Occasional travel may be required
Ideally you have an honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant STEM subject, although relevant knowledge and experience may offset the qualification requirements. You will be required to obtain full Security Clearance.
Location: Yeovil, Somerset
Salary: Up to £36 000
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems Air
BAE Systems Air brings together the company's international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.