Junior Software Engineer
Do you want to write software for the UK’s latest augmented/virtual reality trainers or 3D mission planning systems for Typhoon and Hawk jets? Integrate software into high fidelity cockpit or tank training systems? Or develop Air Traffic Control simulations that allow student controllers to “talk down” jets and train for emergency situations?
If any of those grab your attention, how would you like to work for a business that is committed to making the workplace agile and flexible to meet the diverse needs of our customers? Where high standards of work are expected and encouraged? Where people are understood and valued? Where you can develop and enhance your skills and knowledge, with potential to become a leader in a global business?
Your main responsibilities as a Junior Software Engineer will involve:
· Ownership of requirements, design and implementation, and test to a high standard, within schedule and estimates
· Software development of solutions
· Testing of completed functionality
· Adherence to project processes and software development practices
· Reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
· Supporting System Test and Integration Activities
· Production of appropriate technical documentation
As part of the software team you will be expected to work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities.
Your skills and qualifications as a Junior Software Engineer:
· Software development lifecycle and processes (e.g. design, coding, unit testing), and tools (e.g. UML design tools, code IDEs)
· Developing desktop-based applications including windows forms
· Competent in modern languages C#/C++ (Java considered)
· Object-oriented design/development including UML
· Integration of COTS Software applications and libraries
· Developing interfaces to hardware components
· Windows target environments
What we're looking for in you:
You should be able to demonstrate:
· A 'can do' attitude; deliver within agreed budgets and timescales
· Self-organisation and good time management
· Interest in and practical application of modern technologies (games, mobile apps, etc)
· Occasional travel may be required
Ideally you have an honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant STEM subject, although relevant knowledge and experience may offset the qualification requirements. You will be required to obtain full Security Clearance.
Salary: Up to £30k
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems Air
BAE Systems Air brings together the company’s international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.