Would you like to work within an exciting team and an exciting technology area in defence? Are you looking for an autonomous role where you will be responsible for design and development of new processes? Do you have expertise in process development with a keen interest and knowledge in health and safety?
The Metallurgist role will be responsible for designing and improving processes to ensure product safety as well as general forming, production of aw metallic and non-metallic materials, heat treatment, surface engineering and surface coatings.
The Metallurgist role will have responsible for delivery of engineering related products to help support future products.
Your main responsibilities as a Metallurgist will involve:
· To apply 5S principles to provide a safe and efficient work area.
· To provide the accurate and reliable delivery of metallurgy projects.
· To deliver accurate and reliable engineering reports.
· To influence the design process to ensure Design for Manufacturing (DfM) initiatives.
· To support and ensure the raising, management and resolution of quality and manufacturing issues within Process Engineering, using SAP, in an accurate, reliable and timely manner.
· To ensure the creation of Process Trilogy documentation for each manufacturing process (PCP, PFMEA and Process Flow).
· Support the day to day manufacture of Washington products and the delivery of the Washington Manufacturing Schedule target of >96%, taking responsibility for the delivery of the process.
· To deliver metallurgy projects to budget.
· To lead and support Continuous Improvement (CI) activities and initiatives using lean principles and modern manufacturing techniques to identify opportunities to reduce cost.
· To ensure a positive, motivational and Continuous Improvement attitude to work, ensuring an “issue, cause, remedial action and corrective action” approach to work.
Your skills and qualifications:
· A recognised metallurgical or material science qualification, preferably to degree level, but minimum HND/HNC or equivalent experience
· Experience in providing metallurgical advice in the selection of materials, manufacturing processes and mechanical testing of non-ferrous and ferrous metals, including NDT procedures, and corrosion assessment control
· Team Centre and SAP (desirable)
What we're looking for in you:
You should have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence change and CI across all levels. You with have an in-depth understanding of metallurgy challenges within a manufacturing environment. You will need to be able to demonstrate an ability to solve a range of technical challenges in a methodical and logical way.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems Land UK
Supporting the Armed Forces with the most advanced combat vehicle and munitions capabilities in the world is one of the most exciting career moves you could make. Join us and be part of a team that gives our customers a strategic edge on the battlefield by designing, manufacturing and maintaining some of their most vital equipment. With major facilities in Cheshire, Monmouthshire, Shropshire and Tyne and Wear our Land UK business employs over 1500 people and has a desire to grow the business, both in the UK and internationally.
We are looking for people with the passion, drive and technical skills to give the best they can every day, to make sure our troops receive only the best. In return, we offer you a role you can be proud of, that lets you grow and develop in the UK’s leading defence, aerospace and security company.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.