Do you want to lead a team of Linux engineers, developing secure systems for our UK Government customers? Are you passionate about using innovative technology? We currently have a vacancy for a Linux Engineer based at our Christchurch site.
As a Linux Engineer, you will be involved in a technical refresh of a number of secure systems. The role is primarily focused on the Linux subsystem redesign for a number of systems, requiring interaction with internal and external stakeholders both at Christchurch and at customer locations in the UK.
This role is well suited to somebody who wants to deliver innovate technology solutions, as well as leading a team of engineers and inspiring them to be the best that they can be.
Your main responsibilities as a Linux Engineer will involve:
· Ownership of requirements, design and implementation, system integration and test, within schedule and estimates
· Adherence to systems engineering practices
· Reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
· Production of appropriate technical documentation
· Design of technical solutions, integrating COTS hardware and software
· Planning and Estimating development activities
· Managing the team of systems engineers performing the Linux subsystem redesign
· Management of technical risk
· Working with customers to support delivered systems and resolve issues
As part of the engineering team you will work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities.
Your skills and qualifications as a Linux Engineer :
· Linux scripting (including BASH and Python)
· Package management (such as RPM)
· Automation/provisioning tools (such as Ansible)
· Containerisation (such as Docker)
· Requirements Management
· System architectures
· Defining and managing interfaces between systems
· System integration and testing, including acceptance activities
· Configuration management (e.g. Rational Team Concert)
What we're looking for in you:
· A 'can do' attitude; deliver within agreed budgets and timescales
· Self-organisation and good time management
· You are innovative and able to drive improvement
· You take responsibility for own & team work packages and for delivery
· Experience of mentoring more junior staff and leading teams is desirable
· Occasional travel may be required
Ideally you have an honours degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant STEM subject, although relevant knowledge and experience may offset the qualification requirements. You will be required to obtain full Security Clearance.
Location: Christchurch, Dorset
Salary: Up to £45 000
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems Air
BAE Systems Air brings together the company's international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.