The AXA Group, world leader in Financial Protection, supports and advises its individual and corporate customers at every life stage, providing them with the products and services that meet their insurance, personal protection, savings and wealth management needs. Our areas of expertise are reflected in a range of products and services adapted to the needs of each client in three major business lines: property-casualty insurance, life & savings, and asset management. In 2018, present in 61 countries, the 171,000 employees and distributors of AXA were committed to serving 105 million clients.
AXA Corporate Center’s main missions are to:
• Steer the entities in order to ensure the coherence of the strategies, the consistency of the commercial approaches as well as the optimization of the risks and results;
• Defining and coordinating Group policies, different transversal projects and standards, identifying and sharing best practices;
• Supporting the entities in order to help them to grow, to develop their offer, their management and steering standards as well as their risk management.
The head office of AXA Group (GIE AXA) gathers the Group's corporate activities. It coordinates the various entities according to the Group's strategy and is responsible for managing international projects. The headquarters is composed with over 850 employees and is distinguished by its strong international culture (45 nationalities).
Insurance is about preventing adverse outcomes and protecting customers against risks. In order to carry out this mission to the best of their abilities, insurers need to understand and prepare for the risks of tomorrow. AXA’s Group Risk Management (GRM) brings together high-level multidisciplinary teams of actuaries, engineers and financiers based in Paris, Zurich, Madrid and Hong Kong.
The intern will work with two teams within GRM: The Emerging Risks team (50%) and the Health & Protection Underwriting and Claims team (50%).
® The Health & Protection Underwriting and Claims team’s mission is to build up risk knowledge (medical, vocational, pastimes, financial) ensuring proper risk selection and to customize with entities to adapt for different market environments.
® The Emerging Risks team aims to identify, understand and raise awareness on emerging risks, which may have a significant impact on AXA and its clients in the next 5 to 10 years. These are newly developing or changing risks that are generally characterized by major uncertainty.
GRM will be actively involved in two projects related to the topic of mental health:
(i) As the 2021 chair of the CRO Forum Emerging Risks Initiative (industry-wide group of risk managers from the insurance industry), AXA will lead the writing of an external position paper on Mental Health and its implications for the Life insurance industry. This project is led by the Group Chief Medical Officer, and by the Group Head of Emerging Risks. Participants from other (re)insurance firms will be involved in the working group.
(ii) GRM is conducting an Internal Technical Review on Mental Health & Disability insurance, with several entities from the Group in the scope of the review. This project is led by the Group Chief Medical Officer.
Contribute to the CRO Forum Position Paper on Mental Health
- Lead the writing of the position paper – taking into account the input and feedback provided by experts.
- Perform a literature review of mental health’s underlying factors and potential implications for (re)insurers.
- Analyze topics such as mental health care coverage within public health care systems, existing regulatory frameworks, changing societal expectations regarding mental health, potential emerging risk trends, etc.
- Leverage the research already conducted on mental health, by AXA and other members of the working group.
- Conduct interviews with experts (e.g. doctors, academics, policymakers, regulators, NGOs).
- Prepare and participate in the meetings of the working group.
- Present the key findings to senior stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for public speaking engagements and prepare talking points.
Support the internal Technical Review on Mental Health & Disability insurance
- Analyze trends and potential causes related to Disability claims. Compare portfolio experience with public data.
- Analyze the characteristics of mental disorders related to disability in the context of private income protection insurance.
- Analyze different claims experience in a private insurance disability portfolio against the socio-economic and regulatory background.
- Analyze the impact of societal trends and views towards litigation (“social inflation”) in different economies (France, Germany, Australia, Switzerland, and Belgium).
- Prepare meetings with AXA's entities in the scope of the Technical Review.
Starting date: ASAP for a duration of 6 months
Master’s degree in public health, economics, international relations, or a medical student.
- Experience doing research and writing detailed reports in English.
- Knowledge about mental health and/or prior experience in the insurance sector is a plus.
- Fluency in English is required (both written and oral);
- Ability to work in a team (i.e. leverage expertise from colleagues, give feedback);
- Ability to work multiple assignments and projects that they must constantly juggle and prioritize;
- Capacity to interpret and synthesize issues into reports, or communications with a broader audience;
- Ability to produce reliable, structured and timely reports.