Individually we are people, but together we are Aviva. Individually these are just words, but together they are our Values – Care, Commitment, Community, and Confidence.
Currently we have an excellent opportunity for a Surety Underwriter in our Vancouver region. We are interested in candidates whom are just starting out or have a solid level of experience in Contract Surety underwriting. Depending on the level of the role you are considered for the accountabilities and requirements would vary.
You will be responsible for the maintaining, practicing and implementation of the Contract Surety policies, guidelines, procedures and operating process’ for the geographical area of responsibility including assigned contracting accounts and accredited Brokers. The position is further responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the Surety Contract business through the adherence to Surety and Aviva Corporate Strategic Plan.
This role will start out as work from home and will gradually have flexibility to work in an Aviva office location.
What You’ll Do:
· Underwriting: This position is responsible for the maintaining, practicing and implementation of the Contract Surety policies, guidelines, procedures and operating process’ for the geographical area of responsibility including assigned contracting accounts and accredited Brokers. The position is further responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the Surety Contract business through the adherence to Surety and Aviva Corporate Strategic Plan.
· Strategic Plan: Promotion of the short-term Contract Surety Strategic plans through the implementation, monitoring and maintenance of the Contract Surety Strategic and Marketing plans to targeted and existing brokers, contractors and contracting accounts. Further to maintain enhance current surety relationships with key brokers and contractors under the supervision of The Contract Surety Supervisor.
· Service: Promote and provide where possible high levels of service to both internal and external customers as per the Surety Service Plan.
· Teamwork : participate and contribute to a co-hesive and functional group environment. Assist where needed and required through policy, procedure, guideline, process interpretation, underwriting support and external business related issues to junior and other senior members of the department.
What You’ll Bring:
· 3 to 5 years' contract underwriting experience preferred, within a Surety organization to the level of Aviva assigned accounts and broker partners, ability to interact with both internal and external customers through written and oral skills, have a marketing and analytical ability. Have a thorough knowledge of the issues and approaches to contract surety underwriting and business approaches, have a high degree of negotiating and presentation skills.
· University Related Degree, preferably commerce, economics and or business co-op degree related educational background.
· Thorough knowledge of the issues and approaches to the surety industry and underwriting matters, knowledge of the accounting cycle, basic knowledge of construction related terms and process’, understanding of the insurance model and possess marketing, negotiating and analytical abilities.
· Clear and effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to all levels of customers in an effective manner. Position requires a high degree of written and oral communication with external customers that require clear and concise responses given the high level of risk selection.
· Ability to solve requests, situations and underwriting and business-related issues and problems effectively within the departmental parameters.
· Enhanced level of analytical review and situation resolution with “win win” required outcomes through the collaborations of different parties.
· Individual has substantial role in the interpreting of information submitted for underwriting and business decisions, no direct impact in setting the strategic direction of the department.
What You’ll Get:
· Competitive rewards package including base compensation, eligibility for annual bonus, retirement savings, share plan, health benefits, personal wellness, and volunteer opportunities.
· Exceptional Career Development opportunities.
· We’ll support your professional development education.
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.