Individually we are people, but together we are Aviva. Individually these are just words, but together they are our Values – Care, Commitment, Community, and Confidence.
Aviva has excellent opporunities in our Edmonton Insurance Underwriting Branch. We are recruiting for Junior, Intermediate and Senior Commercial Lines Underwriters (Property & Casualty) to help expand our business.
As a Core Underwriter , the accountability in this role is to drive profitable growth through quality underwriting of our small to medium-sized commercial accounts in all business segments, which typically fall below the annual premium band of $25,000. As Core Underwriter, you are accountable to collaborate with internal partners to identify new business opportunities and to provide superior technical expertise to brokers and customers to price the risk appropriately.
What You’ll Do:
· Qualify and underwrite accounts deal through understanding needs and risk characteristics of the customer, ensuring benefit from both top-line and profitability perspective.
· Develop and maintain relationships cross-functionally and with external stakeholders, to deliver exceptional broker and customer service.
· Maintain the quality and profitability of the portfolio, and refer all risks outside established authority level to Specialist.
· Help identify areas of concern regarding loss ratios, risk trends, or other discrepancies, applying remediation strategies as appropriate.
· Build knowledge of all Information Systems/Programs within Commercial Insurance.
· Participate in Quality Reviews and audits as required.
· Support maintenance of a compliant UW environment in relation to guidelines and rules.
What You’ll Bring:
· 2+ years experience in the insurance industry ideally as commercial lines underwriter with property and casualty policies.
· Post-secondary education (Business or related discipline) or equivalent practical experience
· CIP/FCIP preferred
· Strong knowledge of underwriting, pricing and product in various segments
· Working knowledge of other functional areas (i.e. Claims, Risk Management, Accounting, etc.).
· Strong level of understanding of underwriting philosophy, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information, statuary constraints, and computer workflow procedures.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, RTM, Commercial systems and other related systems.
· Ability to interact in a professional manner to develop long-term relationships with brokers and customers.
· Ability to work with internal business partners to deliver a great broker and customer experience.
· Ability to be self-motivated and proactively pursue potential business opportunities with brokers and customers.
· Ability to listen to broker and customer needs in order to effectively and efficiently meet them.
What You’ll Get:
· Competitive rewards package including base compensation, eligibility for annual bonus, retirement savings, share plan, health benefits, personal wellness, and volunteer opportunities.
· Exceptional Career Development opportunities.
· We’ll support your professional development education
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.