Location: Cambridge, UK
Duration: 2 - 4 months
This position offers a rare opportunity to learn more about the ARM architecture, as well as develop your software development skills, as you work on developing the repository containing machine-readable descriptions of the ARM architecture, and/or the tools that work on or from this repository.
The repository includes various user interfaces and productivity tools, and you will be accountable for an improvement in one or more of these areas:
• Improved tooling to aid the creation of the instruction set and the register definitions.
• Data entry or manipulation of architectural information.
• Development of pseudocode to describe new features.
• Development of tools to build executable models of the ARM architecture.
The role gives an opportunity for you to promote and demonstrate the ARM core beliefs and behaviours.
Essential Skills & Experience
• Studying towards a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electronic Engineering or similar.
• Experience of software development in C++ or Python or any other relevant language.
• Good understanding of object-oriented programming.
• Familiarity with software development processes.
• The ability to work effectively either alone or in a team.
• Ability to explain complex technical problems to colleagues.
• Good analytical and problem solving skills.
• Willingness to accept new challenges.
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Understanding of CPU architecture.
• Knowledge of JSON, XML and XSLT.
• Experience with Unix scripting and makefiles.
• Familiarity with compiler design.
• Familiarity with parsing domain-specific programming or markup languages.
Architecture and Technology Group
The Architecture and Technology Group (ATG) is responsible for developing the ARM Architecture and associated technologies for ARM’s roadmap. The work of the group is fundamental to ARM’s success, providing the key specifications associated with processor and related infrastructure design. This includes the information needed for compliant software development, debug and trace support, and other aspects of the ARM ecosystem. The scope applies across the broad spectrum of product areas from the smallest microcontrollers to high performance computing.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about this role, click ‘apply now’.
We are currently only able to support applications from candidates who are already eligible to work and live in the UK. This might also include individuals who are currently under the Tier 4 study visa scheme. Therefore, you will automatically be deselected if this requirement isn’t met.
What does ARM’s recruitment process involve for Early Careers?
ARM hires early careers talent on a rolling basis and we have a limited number of roles available. We therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you have the best chance of being considered. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a digital/ telephone interview. If this interview goes well, we'll invite you to a selection day/ onsite interview. We'll be holding selection days every month where successful candidates will have the opportunity to learn more about ARM and meet our teams in person.
ARM is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped more than 75 billion System on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies. Learn more and join the conversation at http://community.arm.com.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.