With over 120 million members, Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. As a Top 100 web destination, our mission is to help people find and share books they love. Goodreads members can discover new books by seeing what their friends and members of the community are reading or by using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine.
Come join us and be a part of Amazon family here at Goodreads. At Goodreads, you will be part of a Goodreads Support Engineering team which provides tier-2 and tier-3 production support.
You will be on a dynamic team that works on a broad range of technologies which impact the back-end infrastructure and operational capabilities of large-scale Goodreads community. As a Support Engineer, you’ll also be working in conjunction with development team on production operations to deploy these new products and manage our infrastructure, associated processes and systems.
The Support Engineer is responsible to solving critical problems for large suite of software applications and services. Your solutions will affect our customers directly! High Impact production issues often require coordination between multiple Development, Product and Support teams, so you get to experience a breadth of impact with various groups. It’ll definitely help for you to be detail-oriented and a skilled problem solver, because you’ll also be helping us to streamline our processes—and automating them where applicable.
Primary responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing production software issues, developing tools, automations and monitoring solutions, performing software maintenance and configuration, implementing the fix for internally developed code (JAVA and Ruby with Rails), updating, tracking and resolving technical challenges and improving operational excellence and readiness of the systems.
Some of the key job functions
· Provide support of incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting tasks, with responsibilities covering multiple products, features and services
· Work on operations and maintenance driven coding projects, primarily in Ruby, Rails, Java, Python, or shell scripts, web technologies projects.
· Software deployment support in staging and production environments
· Develop tools to aid operations and maintenance
· System and Support status reporting
· Ownership of one or more Digital products or components
· Customer notification and workflow coordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements
· Work with support team for handing-off or taking over active support issues and creating a team specific knowledge base and skill set
· Proven track record in working on enterprise level large scale n-tier applications
· Development Experience in C/Java or open source based technologies. Understanding of XML/SOAP, web services, web application development, and industry-standard commerce systems.
· Demonstrated experience in Ruby, Rails, Python or shell scripts, a sound understanding of web technologies.
· Ability to write intermediate level database queries. SQL skills
· Detailed knowledge of the UNIX/Linux operating system and tools
· Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues in complex Enterprise Level applications.
· Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services).
· Demonstrated skill and passion for problem solving and operational excellence.
· B.E. in Computer Science or a related field.
· 2+ years overall development/technical support experience.
· Strong knowledge of programming, Operating System and Data structures concepts preferred
· Comfortable communicating cross-functionally and across management levels in formal and informal settings
· Shows creativity and initiative to improve productivity and develop defect reduction strategies using automation or creative processes.
· Ability to understand technical specifications, distributed systems architecture and ability to deep dive on service/application logs