Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
As a flight dynamics software engineer at Project Kuiper, you will work cross-collaboratively with the GNC and ground control teams to build part of the Kuiper constellation’s space operations ground software segment. In this role, you will work at the cross-section of astrodynamics and large-scale cloud-computing to build software that supports the trajectory planning of all assets across the Kuiper satellite fleet. You’ll be responsible for implementing, testing, and operating GNC-related ground software applications and infrastructure for analysis and automated operations (orbit determination, orbit prediction, maneuver planning, and more). You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by high levels of ambiguity or competing priorities.
· Write highly-performant astrodynamics software
· Build scalable and highly-available infrastructure to support the flight dynamics mission
· Work with partner teams across GNC, ground control, networking, infrastructure, hardware, test, and business operations to identify new requirements
· Work backwards from multiple customers to support analysis, test, and production feature development
· Build extensive test and simulation capabilities
· Champion software development best-practices across the program
The right candidate will possess a strong, well-rounded technical background in software development and operations. Prior experience with spacecraft or autonomous vehicles is helpful, but not a prerequisite.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· Experience with at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Python, Ruby or Perl including object-oriented design
· A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and 5+ years of work experience in software development.
· 3+ years of software development experience, with background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development.
· 3+ years of experience in at least one technical area: cloud computing, batch processing, scientific computing.
· Experience with AWS services, products, and tools
· Experience with software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Master’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
· Experience in building and operating production distributed systems, including distributed test and simulation architectures
· Familiarity with interdisciplinary developments that involve hardware, software, and algorithm co-design and verification.
· Familiarity with concepts ranging astrodynamics, flight dynamics, mission operations, and Space Situational Awareness
· Experience supporting infrastructure and tool development for scientific/engineering users.
· Experience in building or leading strong engineering teams, including hiring and growing software engineers.
· Independent and entrepreneurial, showing the ability to work with minimal direction.
· Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems