Software Development Engineer - AWS AI Services / Machine Learning
The Amazon Web Services team is innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems and delivering the next generation of cloud computing with AWS offerings like Polly, SageMaker, and Rekognition. In 2013, AWS launched 280 services, but in 2016 alone we released nearly 1000. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, all while functioning at massive scale; our employees are smart, passionate about the cloud, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
A successful engineer joining the team will do much more than write code and triage problems. They will work with Amazon's largest and most demanding customers to address specific needs across a full suite of services. They will dive deeply into technical issues and work diligently to improve the customer experience. The ideal candidate will...
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Have strong Linux & Networking Fundamentals. The ideal candidate will have deep experience working with Linux, preferably in a large scale, distributed environment. You understand networking technology and how servers and networks inter-relate. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting and conduct technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
Love to code. Whether its building tools in Java or solving complex system problems in Python, the ideal candidate will love using technology to solve problems. You have a solid understanding of software development methodology and know how to use the right tool for the right job.
Think Big. The ideal candidate will build and deploy solutions across thousands of devices. You will strive to improve and streamline processes to allow for work on a massive scale.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
· Solid understanding of Linux performance tuning and problem diagnosis
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
· Experience building and deploying machine learning models
· Experience designing and deploying Big Data pipelines with tools such as Hadoop, Spark or MapReduce.
· Experience with Deep Learning
· Experience with R programming language
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
· 3+ years of software development experience
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms.
· Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C++, Java, or Python
· Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above