Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services – paying as you go for only the resources you need. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks for as low as under $1000 per terabyte per year. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
· Work on a disruptive product that’s still in its early stages
· Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize storage layer of database computing in the cloud
· Build a custom storage engine for redshift database
· Work for a company that’s a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
· Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for developers with expertise and passion for building large scale distributed systems. Experience with parallel query optimization and execution, large scale data analytics, highly available/fault tolerant systems, replicated data storage, and operating complex services running in the cloud are all pluses.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
· Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
· Coding and testing complex system components
· Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
· Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
· Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
· Mentoring other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Familiar or built data services such as snapshots, backup, clones, de-duplication, Journaling etc. for storage products.
· Experienced writing multi-threaded programs requiring concurrency and synchronization primitives
· Write very high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain
· Experienced debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex, production software
· Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
· Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
· Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
· Possess excellent communication, sharp analytical abilities, and proven design skills
· Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems is a plus
· Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, and storage systems
· Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing is a plus
· Masters or PhD in Computer Science
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 3 - 15 years experience writing large scale systems in C/C++
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
· Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience