Come join a security team who focuses on ease of use and delighting our customers to build security services, used across all of Amazon, that secure our internal systems and networks.
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), Security is our highest priority. Our team is responsible for inventing, scaling, and operating the foundational security services used across Amazon to secure our systems, processes, and data. We build authentication, authorization, and enforcement services that are used across our diverse internal teams as they build and deliver services for our customers. We support all of Amazon.com and AWS with our services, and need solution-oriented thinkers who are passionate about solving problems at scale, thinking through edge cases, and iterating quickly to delight our customers.
Are you a good fit for our team?
You’ll love this team if you are passionate about building great software, and curious how we design security into the cloud and Amazon infrastructure from the minute a server hits our data center through how we securely administer and operate services. At Amazon, we are looking for engineers who know how to think through a problem, be creative, and who think outside the box in ways that benefit our customers. The intense focus we have on our customers is why we are one of the world’s most beloved brands – it is part of our company DNA. Our Software Development Engineers (you!) are obsessed with customer trust, building solutions that address real world risks, and thinking deeply about how humans use security systems to build elegant security that users love to use. We are looking for people who bring diverse perspectives, ask a lot of questions, and challenge the status quo. We are a team of out-of-the-box thinkers, who iterate quickly, and think deeply about how to build secure systems that are easy to use.
We work across the company on services that are always-on; the company depends on us. To perform our best, we value work/life harmony, flexible schedules, and unscheduled time to brain storm. We support established, and rapidly growing services, with a DevOps model, so you will be part of an oncall rotation every couple of months. Our challenges and goals are ambitious, often ambiguous, and we sometimes try things that don’t work. We embrace the learnings from failure and iterate quickly. We emphasize shipping rapidly, using automated releases and testing to deploy frequently, and deeply root causing issues to ensure that we stay fast. Almost all of our team works from home these days, but when the world returns to “normal” we are together in the office collaborating around a whiteboard, planning over coffee, or playing a video game during downtime.
What you would do
In this role you will join an established and rapidly growing software team. We have a mixture of existing services, new development, and moonshot initiatives in each team in the org; you would get the opportunity to innovate, build new services, and learn how we operate our services at scale. We are looking for full stack developers, as well as specialized skills, working on N-tier systems, written in various languages on authorization, authentication, data analytics, security audit, security response, configuration management, and access monitoring services. We have multiple open positions and would like to talk with you about specific roles that might match your preferences and experience.
We have roles available in Virginia (Herndon and Arlington), Seattle, San Diego, Vancouver, Chicago, and Boston.
· 7+ years of professional software development experience
· Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
· Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
· In-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture
· Working knowledge and understanding of security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, or application security
· In depth experience with all phases of the SDLC
· Proficient in design, analysis, and application of algorithms and data structures
· Experience designing and building software from scratch
· Experience operating business-critical services, familiar with operational best practices, particularly for large-systems
· 3+ years of experience with cloud computing and/or distributed computing
· Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, etc.
· Experience with data analysis basics such as SQL, R, iPython, etc.
· Experience working on projects with multiple teams, communicating technical, design, interface, and feature requirements and implementation
· Experience coaching and mentoring junior developers
· Demonstrated experience learning and delivering with different architectures, technologies, and languages
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 4+ years of professional software development experience.
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, Python, or C# including object-oriented design.
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.