Jeff Bezos, 2016 Annual Letter to Shareholders: ‘India is another example of how we globalize an offering like Marketplace through customer obsession and a passion for invention… We’re also globalizing Fulfilment by Amazon, adapting the service to local customer needs. In India, we launched a program called Seller Flex to combine Amazon’s logistics capabilities with sellers’ selection at the local neighbourhood level.’
Jeff Wilke, Oct, 2017 to BS India: 'All the inventions happening here will find their way to other countries. There are things we invented in India that we are deploying elsewhere, examples being Seller Flex and Easy Ship. These are the ideas we have transferred to other geographies.'
SmartConnect team (under SellerFlex) located in Bangalore is looking for a SDE to deliver strategic goals for Amazon eCommerce systems. This is an opportunity to join our mission to build tech solutions that empower sellers to delight the next billion customers. You will be responsible for building new system capabilities grounds up for strategic business initiatives. If you feel excited by the challenge of setting the course for large company wide initiatives and building and launching customer facing products in international locales, this may be the next big career move for you. We are building systems which can scale across multiple marketplaces and are on the cutting edge in automated large scale eCommerce business. We are looking for a SDE to design and build our tech stack as a coherent architecture and deliver capabilities across marketplaces. We operate in a high performance co-located agile ecosystem where SDEs, Product Managers and Principals frequently connect with end customers of our products. Our SDEs stay connected with customers through seller/FC/Delivery Station visits and customer anecdotes. This allows our engineers to significantly influence product roadmap, contribute to PRFAQs and create disproportionate impact through the tech they deliver. We offer Technology leaders a once in a lifetime opportunity to transform billions of lives across the planet through their tech innovations.
In this role, you will have front row seats to how we are disrupting eCommerce fulfilment and supply chain by offering creative solutions to yet – unsolved problems. We operate like a start-up within the Amazon ecosystem and have proven track record of delivering inventions that work globally. You will be challenged to look at the world through the eyes of our seller customers and think outside the box to build new tech solutions to make our Sellers successful. You will often find yourself building products and services that are new to Amazon and will have an opportunity to pioneer not just the technology components but the idea itself across other Amazon teams and markets.
See below for a couple of anecdotes, should you want to hear a SDE’s perspective on what it is like to work in this team:
“I have worked on other global tech platforms at Amazon prior to SellerFlex and what I find extremely different and satisfying here is that in addition to the scale and complexity of work that I do and the customer impact it has, I am part of a team that makes SDEs owners of critical aspects of team functioning – whether it be designing and running engineering excellence programs for design reviews, COE, CR, MCM and Service launch bar raisers or the operational programs for the team. This has allowed me to develop myself not just on the tech or domain as a SDE but also as a wholesome Amazon tech leader for future challenges.”
“It is extremely empowering to be a part of this team where I am challenged to learn and innovate in every project that I work on. I get to work across the tech stack and have end to end ownership of solution and tech choices. I hadn’t worked on as many services in my previous team at Amazon as I have built from scratch, launched and scaled in this team . The team is in a great place where it is connected to customers closely, is building new stuff from scratch and has to deal with very light Ops burden due to the great architecture and design choices that are being made by SDEs”
· Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
· Previous experience in designing low latency services.
· Experience in e-commerce and deep hands-on technical expertise
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience;
· Excellent object-oriented design and coding skills (Java, C++ on a UNIX or Linux platform)
· Very strong software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
· Solid Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
· Software development experience in JSP, Spring, AWS, S3, SQS, building web services and highly scalable applications
· Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills