As a Software Development Engineer of the Ion Team, you will be developing libraries, frameworks, and techniques to operate on data using Ion (a superset of JSON) as the foundational technology and PartiQL (SQL with semi-structured and nested data support). Your goal will be to expand the Ion and PartiQL libraries, guidelines, and ecosystem while driving toward a vision that will make Ion and PartiQL an integral part of every AWS service. The initial scope of this role is to shepherd Ion Schema as it evolves and grows in use in PartiQL and Ion projects.
You will have the sponsorship you need from the Consumer and AWS organizations to identify efficiency improvements in all facets of technology including: reducing waste; simplifying architecture and optimizing service performance. If you are interested in making a difference, come join our team. We’ve been waiting for you!
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
You can learn more about Ion via https://amzn.github.io/ion-docs/, Ion Schema via https://amzn.github.io/ion-schema/, and PartiQL via https://partiql.org/.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, and other engineers to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
· Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
· Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis