Ring helps connect communities to build safer neighborhoods, and we are currently seeking a Packaging Engineer with strong conceptual and engineering skills to create unique, scalable concepts that drive the future of our packaging and unboxing experience to further that mission. The Product Experience team is a collaborative group of designers, engineers, content strategists, researchers, writers, and program management—raising the bar to deliver delightful products for Neighbors—our customers. This is a unique opportunity to work and partner with the Amazon Lab126 team, an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronic devices, to build innovative solutions for Ring.
As a Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for working with our US, China, and Taiwan teams throughout the design cycle, closely monitoring and driving packaging engineering initiatives and processes to lock and implement packaging concepts into mass production. You will be an integral part of executing build strategies, including: DFM innovation, new product development, execution efficiency, mitigating risk, best practices, as well as a key escalation path for packaging process issues. You’ll connect the US and Asia teams to ensure effective cross-functional collaboration, including: Product Development, Global Commodity Management, Strategic Procurement, Program Management, Operations, and Supply Chain. Your emphasis will be on helping to drive the development of packaging part manufacturing and processes towards Marketing and ID intent—bridging the gap between strategic business goals and design priorities.
· Maintain close communication with Asia and US Engineering teams to ensure effective team collaboration and transition from concept lock to manufacturing.
· Identify and develop packaging materials, manufacturing processes, and finishes.
· Design, prototype, and deliver scalable processes to address highly complex programs.
· Drive towards yield and cycle time targets ahead of mass production.
· Collaborate with suppliers, providing design feedback and recommendations including but not limited to features, tolerances, DFM, fixture development, etc.
· Participate in early engagement design recommendations and user testing to optimize solutions.
· Lead detailed engineering studies and provide the risk evaluation to the design team.
· Attend packaging builds; Provide reports to the engineering and core teams.
· Collaborate with Supplier Quality and support issue resolution at suppliers throughout the development cycle.
· Support Operations team ramp at mass production and sustaining as required.
· Ability to identify risks, develop clear mitigation plans, and communicate effectively to executive stakeholders.
· Master’s degree
· Fluent in Chinese & English
· Travel domestically and internationally as needed to Ring/Amazon offices and supplier sites to collaborate and keep teams moving.
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the first-ever video doorbell, to the award-winning DIY Ring Alarm system, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor's degree in packaging engineering or related field
· 3+ years of professional experience in a high-volume consumer electronics industry
· Experience prioritizing concurrent activities and focus to align with business and organization goals and meet evolving deadlines
· Experience working onsite with local and international manufacturers and suppliers
· Excellent oral and written communication
· Proven strong organizational and problem-solving skills
· Enthusiasm for getting “hands on” with your team in collaborative environments
· Experience running packaging software such as ArtiosCAD and TOPS
· Experience in creating Engineering Bills of Materials (BOM) structure, ECO, and documentation
· Corrugated, paperboard, and molded pulp packaging design
· Packaging adhesives, protective films, and polybags
· Packaging process and fixture development
· Paper printing decoration and treatments
· Developing and creating test protocol and procedure