Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Network Technician to join our growing team within infrastructure operations. You will work in a dynamic environment to drive the stability and sustainability of our next-generation networks and assist in the development of innovative ways to automate and scale our network.
The position's responsibilities include scaling support of several data center locations and day to day assistance with capacity management. Our ideal candidate is sufficiently autonomous, detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has some experience in supporting large scale, enterprise class networks. Network implementation and troubleshooting skills combined with a proven documentation methodology is also a requirement.
You will leverage your experience supporting large scale, enterprise class networks as well as network implementation and troubleshooting. As a Network Technician you will work in a fast paced, collaborative environment with regular peer and customer interaction. In addition to providing management and support of Amazon Web Services vast network infrastructure, Network Technicians establish and follow best practices and refine operational procedures.
Logical access to the AWS GovCloud region will be restricted to Amazon employees who are U.S. Citizens. (GovCloud may NOT be accessed from outside of the United States)
Daily responsibilities include:
· Participate in the migration, basic configuration and rollout of new or upgraded hardware.
· Manage work and priorities through ticketing system and workflows to complete customer requests and projects.
· Work closely with our Network Engineering & Network Technical Project Manager teams to ensure fast, smooth rollout of established designs and products.
· Troubleshoot networking, routing and inter connectivity issues, including troubleshooting of network device configuration and low level application interaction.
· Up to 20% travel within geographical work area may be required. Some travel outside traditional work area may be requested.
· Troubleshooting cabling infrastructure connectivity issues, including patch panels and patch cords.
Other Qualifications & Responsibilities
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
· Effective prioritization and time management
Any physical requirements are expectations with reasonable accommodations.
· The ability to sit in front of computer for entire scheduled 8-hour shift with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail
· Regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 41 pounds or more
· Walk job sites in uneven terrain
· Work safely at heights and from ladders
· Good understanding of infrastructure technologies, including Routers, Switches, Load Balancers and Firewalls
· Knowledge of major Command Line Protocols (Cisco IOS, JunOS, GNU/Linux) and common Networking Protocols (BGP, OSPF)
· Experience with common tools related to network troubleshooting, including VFLs, OTDR and power meters
· Experience with medium to large, complex project scopes and ambiguous details within work environment
· Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills
· Knowledge of network cabling, optic types, and test equipment
· Working knowledge of Layer 1 troubleshooting
· Familiarity with common networking terms and fabric based network design
· Familiarity with computer / server hardware troubleshooting
· Working with IT best practice frameworks (ITIL, LEAN, AGILE) and Operational Excellence concepts or methodologies is a plus
· Experience with cabling infrastructure best practices and methodologies
· General comprehension of the various components and sub-components of data center infrastructure
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· Must be at least 18 years old
· High School diploma or equivalent
· 1+ year experience in any of the following IT roles (Computer Hardware Repair, Infrastructure Cabling, Network Deployment, Data Center Operations, Technical Project Management)